Question B&W 700 series recommendations???

myatix

Standard Member
Hi All,

I am in the process of trying to design a new stereo and surround setup that is suited for both music and surround. I am currently considering a Bower and Wilkins 700 series setup and was wondering if one of you experts out there might be able to give me some advice on weather or not this setup would be good for both music and surround?

Speakers:
Left/Right:
B&W 705 S2

Center: B&W HTM72 S2 (Maybe B&W HTM71 S2)

Surround: B&W 707 S2 (Maybe B&W CCM683)

Sub: B&W PV1D (Maybe B&W DB3D)

Atmos: B&W CCM683

Receiver: Denon X4500H
AMP: ??? Is the Denon going to be good enough as an amp for the stereo music setup or should I get a dedicated amp?

Does this speaker setup make sense for a 40m2 meter room?

I would really appreciate your input and feedback on what you think?

Thanks! :)

MacVee

Hi All,

I am in the process of trying to design a new stereo and surround setup that is suited for both music and surround. I am currently considering a Bower and Wilkins 700 series setup and was wondering if one of you experts out there might be able to give me some advice on weather or not this setup would be good for both music and surround?

Speakers:
Left/Right:
B&W 705 S2

Center: B&W HTM72 S2 (Maybe B&W HTM71 S2)

Surround: B&W 707 S2 (Maybe B&W CCM683)

Sub: B&W PV1D (Maybe B&W DB3D)

Receiver: Denon X4500H
AMP: ??? Is the Denon going to be good enough as an amp for the stereo music setup or should I get a dedicated amp?

Does this speaker setup make sense for a 40m2 meter room?

I would really appreciate your input and feedback on what you think?

Thanks! :)
I'm currently saving the pennies for the 700 series myself and will be married to an Arcam AVR 550. (Unless a better speaker at a similar price comes along). Mine will be in a much smaller room though and I envisage I will have enough power on tap at comfortable volume levels. If not I can add a power amp.

You can always add a power amp to the Denon if you feel running all those speakers is taxing it too much.

Usually the bigger centre speaker makes better sense. If it is in an enclosed space or very close to a wall, both centre models can be bunged.

I have listened to the 707's and thought they were good for the size and would be great as surrounds. More ideal if you want to keep it all 700 series instead of borrowing from other ranges. Ditto for the subwoofer, have you considered the DB4S? As that is the specific subwoofer for the 700 series range. Not a lot more money than a PV1D new.

I used to own a PV1D, liked it and I find dual opposed driver designs cool but for DB3D money you can get an Arendal Sub 2 which is dual opposed but with much larger cabinet and drivers than the DB3D. The PV1D is a overpriced for what you actually get. Have you considered going duals for subs?

Can't comment on the Atmos range as I'm not considering it.

I ran CM9’s on a Marantz SR7011 for a while and it was okay with them but adding better amplification made a big, big difference. I would budget for a power amp like the IOTA to get the best out of such speakers.

I would certainly look at a different sub to the PV1. How big is your room?

Also, absolutely go for the larger centre speaker. Centre and Sub I would suggest are the most important speakers in an AV setup

The DB3/4 are decent subs actually, unlike most loudspeaker brands who also make subs.

What’s your total budget?

MacVee

I ran CM9’s on a Marantz SR7011 for a while and it was okay with them but adding better amplification made a big, big difference. I would budget for a power amp like the IOTA to get the best out of such speakers.

Also, absolutely go for the larger centre speaker. Centre and Sub I would suggest are the most important speakers in an AV setup

The DB3/4 are decent subs actually, unlike most loudspeaker brands who also make subs.

Would appear to be 40m2.

myatix

Standard Member

Thanks for the feedback!

As MacVee said 40m2 with a vaulted ceiling, you can see more details about the room in this thread.

Speaker for Dolby Atmos with Vaulted Ceiling

I was wondering about the Center speaker not being large enough so I think you are right the 71 S2 would be the right decision.

My budget is around 5-6K although this seems to be going out of the window quickly. ;)

My biggest challenge like many others in the other half. She would rather have a set of B&W M1's and keep away from any form of larger floor/ bookshelf speaker. So a key aspect to this is keeping the speakers low key especially as it is not a dedicated home cinema but is our main living area.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

myatix

Standard Member
OK... After a little more research and some more thoughts I am considering the following:

Speakers:
Left/Right:
B&W 704 S2 or 702 S2
Center: B&W HTM71 S2
Surround: B&W 707 S2 (Maybe B&W CCM682)
Sub: Arendal Sound 1723 Subwoofer 2 or maybe (2 x subwoofer 1)

As for the Receiver I am still a little undecided... I have owned a Denon 3310 before and was pretty happy with it but a lot of people keep saying Marantz sr7012 maybe sr8012... Although I am also considering the Denon X6500H, although people say it gets super hot.

I am still unsure if it is better to go with 2 subs or a single larger sub?

Thanks a lot to everyones advice so far! :)

myatix

Standard Member
One other question? What sort of speaker cable should I consider for these speakers? Especially for the longer cable runs to the surrounds and atmos speakers? Some cables seem stupidly expensive.

My longest run is going to be about either 11 meters or 20 meters if I put the AVR in a rack in the utility room.

Thanks again!

MacVee

OK... After a little more research and some more thoughts I am considering the following:

Speakers:
Left/Right:
B&W 704 S2 or 702 S2

As for the Receiver I am still a little undecided... I have owned a Denon 3310 before and was pretty happy with it but a lot of people keep saying Marantz sr7012 maybe sr8012... Although I am also considering the Denon X6500H, although people say it gets super hot.

You're welcome.

I was going to mention the Arendal Sub 1 as well, being cheaper than the other subs mentioned and being a great sub in its own right. Only a single driver mind but so is the DB4S. It might be better to get two cheaper subs than one more expensive and the Arendal Sub 1 will allow you to do that without gobbling up as much as the budget as 2x DB3D or Sub 2 would.

With regards to receivers can you demo these models alongside your preferred 700 series models to get a good idea of whether they will be a good match for you?

MacVee

One other question? What sort of speaker cable should I consider for these speakers? Especially for the longer cable runs to the surrounds and atmos speakers? Some cables seem stupidly expensive.

My longest run is going to be about either 11 meters or 20 meters if I put the AVR in a rack in the utility room.

Thanks again!
You can you any speaker cable you like, heck you can even use twin & earth if you really want to keep the costs down. If cable is going in wall/conduits, it would be prudent to get low smoke,zero halogen known as LS0H/LSZH. Again somewhere like Screwfix can provide the low smoke version, usually a white sheath instead of grey (if using mains twin & earth).

DCSK, KabelDirekt, Van Damme and Fisual are all forum favourites for low cost, high quality speaker cable. Remember always best to work out the price per meter whatever you go with. Hope this helps.

myatix

Standard Member
DCSK, KabelDirekt, Van Damme and Fisual are all forum favourites for low cost, high quality speaker cable. Remember always best to work out the price per meter whatever you go with. Hope this helps.
What size core should it have 1.5, 2.5, 4mm etc etc any ideas what I should choose. I presume this is effected by the length of the cable?

MacVee

What size core should it have 1.5, 2.5, 4mm etc etc any ideas what I should choose. I presume this is effected by the length of the cable?
Yes spot on. The longer the run, the thicker the core. 4mm would be ideal for the longer runs, it can be quite chunky to fit into binding posts bare but you always use banana plugs.

kipper15

Speakers:
Left/Right:
B&W 704 S2 or 702 S2

May I ask, what did you go with in the end? Specifically the B&W speakers. I'm looking at upgrading to the 700 series from 15+ year old 600 S3 speakers. The 707 S2's seem expensive for use as surrounds though! And I'd have to wall mount them as no space in lounge to put on stands. I currently have 600 S3's as surrounds, which were wall-mountable out of the box (i.e. with a hook built in to the back). I'd have to find a wall-mount bracket that will work and also that isn't going to damage that lovely finish on the 707 S2.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom