B&W 685's, Bright Sounding?.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by -=PLuKE=-, Sep 12, 2007.

1. -=PLuKE=-

-=PLuKE=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. I have had my B&W 685s for about 10days now, Been listening to them everyday since i bought them, But they are sounded bright in the midrange and vocals at mid/high volumes, I know B&W are on the slight bright sound . I have been told to ride it out and really after about 1month of use they sound diffrent and mellow out. What are your thoughts?. I listen to all my music thought my PC, Either MP3 or lossless files, I have a pretty good soundcard and running Phono from the amp to Phono to the soundcard They are on stands if that makes any diffrance?. I have played with the equalizer on Winamp to soften the vocal and midrange and it has worked, But i dont wanna make anything sound to false. I have also been told to try using some curtains to help take the harshness away as per the B&W handbook aswell.

KIT LIST
    Teac AH-300 (Reference 300) 35 WPC
    QED Silver Anni Cable
    Audiophile 2496 (soundcard)
    IXOS XHA215 (Phono Lead)

Hope you can help?.

Luke

2. -=PLuKE=-

-=PLuKE=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Forgot to add.

As my amp is only 35WPC, And i listen to my music to mid/high volumes, Will this affect the sound? Maybe the harshness? or has that got nothing to do with it?.

Luke

3. skazz

skazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Do you have them toed in pointing at you, or aimed straight along the room? The review of the 683s in Hifi choice implied that they were best aimed straight along the room, so that when you are sitting in your primary listening position you are not directly on axis of the tweeters: The implication being that the 683s are also quite bright and that you can reduce the brightness a bit by not aiming the tweeters directly at your ears. So if you haven't yet done so, try playing around with toeing in (or rather not toeing in) and see if it helps.

My next comment is more dubious: I've always read in hifi magazines that your QED speaker cable can also sound a touch bright while being very detailed and winning lots of awards. Never heard it myself, so I am not sure, but that's just what I've read. Perhaps slightly bright+bright is ending up overbright?

On that subject, system matching is always going to be tricky... If your PC sound card and amp are both extremely neutral and the speakers are regarded as having bright tendencies then it could well be that your end result is always going to have a bright edge. It may well be that using winamp's equalizer is the best choice you have for taming things even once the B&Ws have been run in. But I'd certainly wait and see for that before making any other decisions: You might well be surprised.

Your amp's 35W should be fine for the 685s in my opinion, as long as you have them in a small to medium sized room and aren't attempting to rattle the windows. B&W themselves say that 25W is plenty for the 685s: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2301&terid=2304&sc=hf Your amp's inherent sound rather than any power shortcomings are what might be affecting any brightness you hear. Again, not having ever heard the Teac I can't say if it's likely to be adding to the brightness or not.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A couple of points, basically re-inforcing what has been said before:

Those speakers are no where near run in yet. 200 hours plus is a minimum, often more with metal tweeters. That is 8 days continuous use and normal listening levels (not possible unless you live in the middle of nowhere). Be patient and use your tone controls for a week or 2!

I have sat here for 10 minutes trying to figure out what to say about QED's budget silver cable. It gets a lot of bad press but has a lot of devoted followers. I think it is an extravagance. Silver is for jewellry or killing werewolves! Your kit will almost certainly be tuned to work best with high OFC copper. 5M of Van Damme 2.5mm blue won't break the bank, and the worst that can happen is that it makes no difference at which point you can sell the QED on to cut your losses.

5. -=PLuKE=-

-=PLuKE=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replys.

My bedroom isnt that big, Just 12x11

The Taec is naturally a bassy amp sounds abit like the NADs IMO, But it seems that when the volume is mid/high it can sound harsh. More so when listing to something like Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chilly Pepers the shouting and the midrange can come thought to much and be like WOW!, But if amlisten to Hip hop etc it sounds pretty good with just the vocal coming out alittle bit. I know they need more time but how much are they gonna change is what i ask myself.

Now with Winamp i have turned down the 600, 1k,3k and 6k down alittle which does help take the end off, But TBH i dont really wanna do anything like that just incase i take the true sound away and making it fake or not natural. But i do leave the Amp's treble on flat not to take away the instruments.

I tryed some cheap copper cable and some ok stuff, And there was a slight diffrance to the midrange but not much to make it sound better really.

Luke

6. -=PLuKE=-

-=PLuKE=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  7. RichardG

RichardG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ditch this AWFUL cable! I used to use it (with B&W 602s & 601s) and had the same problem as you - try the Van Damme Studio blue - it's cheaper and far more listenable.

Oh and try not to fall into the trap that thinking that changing the sound in equalisation is a travesty - if it makes it sound better to you, then it's OK - it's the music you should be listening to - not the kit!

It's a hard lesson to learn, but worth it!

8. RichardG

RichardG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Luke - there's no such thing mate - give it up! And this is from someone who's spend tens of thousands on kit over the years. Get it how you like it, pour yourself a cold one and sit back and relax!

Don't worry about the RHCP & the Foos - they are notoriously poorly mastered - do you still want the "true" sound when it's almost unlistenable?!

9. -=PLuKE=-

-=PLuKE=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Rich, I like a true sound but i dont want it unlistable like you said. Now am bloody confused :lease:. Where i find that speaker cable from?.

Luke

10. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Here is one place. Google throws up others.;)

11. RichardG

RichardG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's where I got mine from - you pay for delivery, but service is first class - I've always received stuff next morning if ordered before 3pm.