Question b&W 685 vs 685 s2

bpeinaud

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I need expertise from one of you on a matter.

I am moving out to a newer place which as a smaller living room; I had B&W dm602.5 s3 with a Rotel RA01 for years and was very pleased - speakers are for sale on the forum by the way.

Due to space restrictions I have no choice but to buy B&W bookshelf (I really love B&W sound, tried over onces but to me nothing compare in that range). So I have listened to the 685 s2 recently and felt in love with the sound itself. I had a look at 685 series 1 too but was unable to listen to it. So my question will be as follow: how do they compare? Is it really worth buying s2 or can I just find a second hand series 1 in mint condition?

Many thanks in advance for your help!!

Boris

While my experience is limited to in-store auditions, my general consensus between the 600 Series and the 600 S2 Series, is that on the S2, the bass is more controlled. While nice, the bass on the original 600(S1) is that the bass was a bit exaggerated. The 600-S2 it is tighter and more controlled, and the Mid/High on the S2 is clearer and more detailed.

Since the S1 are an older model, you can probably get them cheaper, but I would say the sound quality on the S2 comes very close to the B&W CM series, not quite, but much closer in clarity than the older S1 Series.

That's just my limited experience. Since the new B&W 700 Series has replaced the CM Series, you might still find some old CM around at very nice discounts, though these were originally pretty expensive speakers.

Since you had B&W 600, and since you auditioned the newer 600-S2, and you liked what you heard, it is down to cost and preference. You might like the stronger bass of the S1, or you might prefer the increased clarity of the S2. That's something only you can decide.

Also, keep in mind, that I am generalizing one series against the other. I'm primarily interested in Floorstanding, but I have heard the bookshelf models. So my comments are a generalization across the entire series and not specifically limited to the bookshelf.

I was very impressed with the clarity of the 600-S2, as I said, they came very close to the CM series. But the S2 being the current models, it is probably going to cost a bit more than the S1, but the S2 are still reasonably priced.

B&W 685 S2 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

The only other speaker I would suggest in the same price range is the older Monitor Audio Silver 2 (£499/pr, 8") (for as long as supplies last), which has been replaced by the Silver 100.

Monitor Audio Silver 2 Rosenut Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Monitor Audio - AudioVisual Online

Monitor Audio Silver 2 Black Oak Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Monitor Audio - AudioVisual Online

This has a 8" bass driver and response down to 40hz. Those listed above are the only two finishes left from this Store - Rosewood and Black.

If 8" is too big, then search for the Monitor Audio Silver 1 (£399/pr, 6") -

Monitor Audio Silver 1 Rosenut Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Monitor Audio - AudioVisual Online

Monitor Audio Silver 1 Black Oak Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Monitor Audio - AudioVisual Online

Since you have had B&W and you have auditioned newer B&W, and you liked what you heard, they should be fine speakers. I'm simply presenting a high value alternative for your consideration.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom