B&W 685 tweeter

Minivan

Standard Member
Hi Guys

Does anyone know now to remove the tweeter from B&W 685 speakers?

The tweeter was pushed in so I wanted to see if I can push it back out.

Thanks

TomScrut

Series 1? You need to take the midrange driver out and then I think there is a threaded locking collar on the outside of the tweeter that clamps it in place. To take the mid driver out you peel the plastic finisher off the outside edge and this reveals some allan bolts to undo. It's a while since I did this so it's all from memory! Look on B&W Group North America Service & Support - Home for drawings as this might help!

Tom

TomScrut

I have just thought about what you said, you won't be able to push it back out it need pulling/sucking back out. The best way to pull it out IMO is to cut the neck off a plastic bottle, place the threaded part over the dome and suck on the other end and it should come back out leaving just a few little creases. I did this on my 685s.

Minivan

Standard Member
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll give it a go with the bottle. If not, I guess I may nee to replace the tweeters.

Soundmangt4

You can push it back out if you remove the diaphragm from the HF drive unit. Once the tweeter is out, just unscrew the diaphragm (3 screws IIRC) and then you can gently push it out from the rear.
However, it would always annoy me seeing the creases, and a new diaphragm is quite cheap - I think I paid £17 for a replacement on my 603's.

TomScrut

You can push it back out if you remove the diaphragm from the HF drive unit. Once the tweeter is out, just unscrew the diaphragm (3 screws IIRC) and then you can gently push it out from the rear.
However, it would always annoy me seeing the creases, and a new diaphragm is quite cheap - I think I paid £17 for a replacement on my 603's.
Are you sure the tweeter can be taken to bits on the 68x series 1?

Soundmangt4

TBH I kind of made the assumption they are built the same way. It would be very obvious once the tweeter assembly is removed. With dented diaphragms being the biggest issue with aluminium tweeters, I would be amazed if this wasn't a standard service item.
If in doubt, a call to a service centre is the best bet!

TomScrut

I think they are more of the inclination to sell you a PAIR of new tweeters. At least that's what I got told when I wanted to swap mine on my 685s. As I was selling them this wasn't viable so I sold them with the slightest of creases in the tweeter and made the buyer aware that all was well with the sound

olivier d

Novice Member
i did this tweet replacement on a 685 and it was super quick and easy.

just insert a flat screwdriver in the outer ring that holds the woofer and lift gently. take out the woofer and access the tweeter by that hole.

super easy, takes literally 5mn. I think the new tweeter was about £50 and pretty sure it came with instructions.

Hope this helps.

PS: yes i am a newbie and am hustling for likes!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom