B&W 685 Hi Fi/Home Cinema/Headfi

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by g777o, Feb 24, 2013.

1. g777o

g777o
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello :)
    here is my home Hi Fi / Cinema / Headfi

Hifi
    Rotel RC 995
    Rotel RB 991
    B&W 685
    Arcam rDac
    Sonos ZP90
    WD Nas Drive

Home Cinema
    Onkyo TX-NR509
    Samsung 40" LED
    Sony Blu Ray Player
    SKY+ HD Box
    B&W 685 - L & R
    B&W HTM62 - Centre
    Mission MX-S - SR & SR
    Awaiting BK Sub very soon :cool:

Headfi
    Graham Slee Solo
    Arcam rDac
    Sennheiser 650
    Audio Technica ATH-M50S

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Fantastic, bet it sounds awesome but Cables on sight! Aghhhhh!!!!

3. knight2000uk

knight2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Nice looking setup, id agree with pingpong, cables need some love ;) especially near the hifi rack.

4. gavpre

gavpre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Nice setup.
    I have the B&W 685's too paired with an Onkyo TX-SR607 which ive biamped. How would you compare your rotel amps to your onkyo when playing music through your speakers?

5. g777o

g777o
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your comments chaps, its a working progress so cable tidying is all part :)

Hi Gav,
    I bought the onkyo in 2011 and was using the mission mxs speakers with it at the time, I then bought a rotel RA-02 integrated, and found an improvement with music, compared to the onkyo.

Next move was buying the 685's, these are far superior to the tiny mx-s's and worked really nicely with the rotel amp.
    I was told that the B&W's like to be driven hard, so I looked at upgrading my stereo amp, and ended up getting a great deal on the RC-995 RB991 combo. The difference again was massive, this was my system for a year up until a couple of months ago when I got my home cinema itch again :p.
    I dusted off my onkyo and missons and purchased the Htm62 centre. This was also the first time I had paired the B&W's with the onkyo receiver.
    For movies I am more than happy, but music in stereo is very disappointing.
    The rotel combo has an amazing grip on the 685's, everything is so tight and punchy, where as the onkyo is very boomy and muddy in comparision.
    This is why I have the two systems, and have two sets of L&R cables.
    A one box solution for everything would be nice, but I feel that i'd have to spend a huge sum to get an AVR that can sound as good as the rotel setup.

Cheers

6. kendun

kendun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Nice setup. Is your tv placed on something as it seems a bit high compared to your centre speaker?

7. Philw101

Philw101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    This shouldn't come as a surprise though, a multichannel AVR is designed for movies! :) A dedicated stereo processor and amp would be recommended for 2 channel music! I suggest looking into the Arcam stereo amps, they have been pretty good for music! But nothing too expensive though i.e over £500 notes would be overkill for the 685s.

By the way nice system - I also had the 685s, HTM62 a few years back! :)

8. g777o

g777o
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again for your comments. The TV is actually standing on an old tape player to rise it up a bit. Needed something solid, otherwise the centre would hide the bottom of the screen.
    I agree with you regarding the stereo vs avr amps, it wasn't really a surprise to me that the onkyo was disappointed for stereo.
    I do like the arcam amps, but for the moment my rotel amps are doing OK, so I am not planning on upgrading these, in my opinion they are the strongest link in the 'stereo system'.

9. othercvr

othercvr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi g777o. I'm interested in buying an htm62 center speaker. But i haven't been able to listen to it. What is your opinion about it? I currently have 2 B&W 684 for fronts and a yamaha ns-310 center channel. I know that front speakers have to match but i don't know if buying the htm62 would worth.

Another question, i have the same tv stand as you. Did you put the plasma over the speaker?, i'm thinking to do that but don't know if the glass can support it.

Thank you

10. g777o

g777o
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello. The htm62 is the only centre that I have owned, so I cannot really compare it to anything else. Seems to do a good job though, with plenty of impact. I have my centre at the front of the stand, with the tv behind it on top of an old cassette player. As your 684s the htm62 is very solidly built, and im sure it could take a substantial weight if this is what you wanted to do. I put mine at the front and overlapping the edge so that I wouldn't get any sound reflection from the stand.
    Thanks