• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

B&W 685 Amp Suggestions

Pearfish01

Hi guys got the 685's and the HTM 62 set up now and i must admit they sound awesome watching the Special Extended Edition of the FOTR awesome. My dilema is when I was buying the 685's the salesman said that my current AMP the Onkyo 605 was not powerfull enough for the speakers and I would get more out of them with a better amp. Looking at the spec's the 605 is rated at 140W and the speakers recommend 100W so surelly it is powerful enough? Would i get a massive improvment in the speakers if i upgrade to a Yamaha RXV1900/3900 or a Pioneer SCLX71/81? Im mainly watching dvds and Bluray from PS3. Any advise appreciated.

mossym

Distinguished Member
in one review the power output of the 605 dropped to somewhere between 30/40 W per channel when all channels were been driving. true or not i don't know. pretty sure it was home cinema choice, who I'd trust more than other magazines. the 605 is a budget amp for a reason. it won't match up sonically and power wise with more expensive offerings from other manufacturers and from onkyo themselves. you'll definitely get an improvement moving up, only way to know if it's worth it for you is to go listen to the different amps with those speakers. it also depends what volume you like to watch movies at, do you want huge room filling sound or a lower more comfortable level? this will also depend on the size of you room.

Pearfish01

Thanks for the reply the room is 3.5m x 3.5m but opens up into another room 3x3. The system at the moment seems quite at lower volume settings. I think i may look to upgrade. Just dont have a clue which amp to go for dont want to get one which is too powerful and not make full use of it.

mossym

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply the room is 3.5m x 3.5m but opens up into another room 3x3. The system at the moment seems quite at lower volume settings. I think i may look to upgrade. Just dont have a clue which amp to go for dont want to get one which is too powerful and not make full use of it.

i think that may be the right choice, the 605 is an okay budget amp, but with your upgrade in speakers you should get something that can match them. i'm sure you'll get lots of advice, but i'm a big fan of the denons and something in the 2 series would be a decent upgrade without going up to the levels of the 3 and 4 series.

TGjn

Standard Member
Hi All,

I am also looking for B&W 685 with a Onkyo TXSR507. I have seen the Onkyo for £200 which is perfect for my budget. Reading this thread the opinion seems not to go for the onkyo. Please can anyone recommend a good amp that will go well with the B&W and would cost around the same price as the Onkyo brand new?

Thanks guys.

lunarwolf

hi

I am no expert, but I tend to believe that the 685 need power to be driven properly, I am not very familiar with Onkyo since i did not really consider their amps when i bought my set up. I find that the 685 truly come into their own when the volume starts to kick in.

I think onkyo is reputed to be a good brand, but maybe audition some denon yamaha or pioneers too and then you can decide which you prefer. should not be too hard to be able to audition these since many places carry them.

anyway good luck

TGjn

Standard Member
Thanks, will look to book in some demos.
I am also thinking of the SONY STRDH800 which I see for £260. Again this would be within my budget.:lesson:

simonoaks

Hi All,

I am also looking for B&W 685 with a Onkyo TXSR507. I have seen the Onkyo for £200 which is perfect for my budget. Reading this thread the opinion seems not to go for the onkyo. Please can anyone recommend a good amp that will go well with the B&W and would cost around the same price as the Onkyo brand new?

Thanks guys.

I found great value in buying my Onkyo 805 second hand, to drive my 685s. they go nice an loud without any strain on the amp. As people on here, due to the nature of their hobby, often upgrade, you can get some good stuff second hand. For example, I got a 9 month old amp, with over 2 years warranty left, for uder £350 delivered.

IMO by getting S/H you get much better value, and power, for your money.

TGjn

Standard Member
For sure I have been looking at some sh amps.
I agree I think you can get some really good deals. I have decided to go with the B&W 685 theatre package so if I can save some £££ on the amp buying sh that will help.

Thanks for the advice. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom