• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

B & W 683's

stratosboy

Going to audition an Arcam AVR500 at weekend and to get best out of amp will have to upgrade speakers from TDL RTL3's - so am considering B&W 683's as main fronts.

Any views on how this combination might work ?

Medrep1

Well I would say, IMO, that Arcam generally has a warmer/softer sound, that may just suit your ears and room.

Ive always wanted a more exciting (brighter if you want to call it) sound, but my room currently is a touch too bare, so this exacerbates the lively sound of my rotel and B&W combo.

If you find it a touch too laid back, then try a different amp/source.

Its difficult to determine what would be best, as you have bought neither amp nor speaker yet?

I would be inclined to listen to a varied range of components and speaker types, and see which sounds best to your ears. Then your half way there to determining what sound floats your boat. Try not to be carried away with overly detailed exciting demos either, they always impress at first but after an evening with a LOTR boxset your ears and brain may need some rest.....

Then audition the kit at home, if you can, as this will also have a big effect on the final sound.

Personally I think your demo sounds a nice combo!:smashin:

Last edited:

a1000bhp

Standard Member
Hello,

I strongly recommend you have a listen to the cm7s aswell, i think they are only £100 more, but they sound much, much better than both the 684's and the 683'.

Also I have found b&w/arcam to be quite a good match, aswell as monitor audio/arcam.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom