B&W 683 s2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SpuddybabyUK, Aug 13, 2018.

1. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    just literally got back from Sevenoaks having had a demo and purchase of these speakers.
    Haven’t collected yet as room not ready until September time.
    They sounded amazing, listened to some rock music, studio and live, and even the Missus was 8mpressed enough to give me the nod!
    Also blind purchased the matching centre speaker, HTM61 S2, as it was on a deal, as were the 683s.
    Can’t wait to get them home.
    Can’t find an owners thread so wondering what others owners think of them?

2. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    The 600 series is being replaced very shortly so hope you got a good deal on them or you might be better holding out a few more weeks and getting the newer ones if you’re in no major rush for them.

3. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I didn’t want to pay out thousands but I saw them at Sevenoaks sound and vision for £800 the pair.

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I think you did good there! Also the 3-way center channel is praiced. I don`t know why B&W isn`t as popular in UK anymore, maybe it`s the pricing. But you will find owners thread of B&W at AVSF (US) if you want to dig some information from owners. Couple professional reviews available too and those are great speakers surely, best models from 600 serie and the fact you got them both so cheap is great! Some people has liked these (683 S2) more for movies than the more expensive CM serie, which might be too "polite" and "laid back".

There is also measurements available and while norminal impedance is 8ohm, it dips low (3ohm) meaning hopefully you have good receiver to drive them! One member swapped from Yamaha 1070 to Marantz SR7012 with same system as yours, maybe he will come to share he`s feelings @Slash21 .

Next up then subwoofer and surrounds! I hope you know not to buy any speaker manufacturer subwoofer...

5. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I’ve just bought the Denon x4400, I think they should be ok with that?
    Having said that I am probably going to go 7.1.4 so I’ll be buying a stereo amp to drive these from the Denons pre outs.

I’ve currently got a sub, it’s an old Mirage model, still running well even though I know it’s really old, but I won’t look to upgrade it until I get it up and running with the ful system.
    Re surrounds ive got 5 B&W M1s that I’ve been using in my lounge which are going to be my surrounds.

6. warm18

warm18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How have you got on with the x4400? I'm looking at that or the x3500 as they're similarly priced at the mo!

Thinking of pairing with these floor standers as well with a MS avian 5 centre and moving my aviano 1's to the rear. That or sell the centre and get the B&W centre.

7. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I’ve only hooked them up once as the room is currently still being converted.
    When I had connected them up they were awesome, and that was in my acoustically awful living room which has laminate floor!

But after half hour of listening I had to put everything back in the box and then back into the office

8. warm18

warm18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Booooo what a shame. Think I'm going to go for the Denon and then maybe get speakers later but I'll be keen to hear what you say and if you have any issues once its up and running.

9. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I know I can’t wait to get them them set up properly, but I must have patience!

10. warm18

warm18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you managed to finish the room yet or play with the 4400/speaker set up any more? Im looking at these as they are currently £800 and i have just bought a 4400. having pushed my smaller speakers i think i need something more formidable at the front! (and a new tv....)

11. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    No not yet! It’s killing me having to wait! Floor has just been screeded, and now have to build a stud wall, replanted and lower the ceiling. Going on holiday in 3 weeks as well so I’m resigned to thinking it’s going to be December...:(

I did set them up in the living room once though and had a listen and they were awesome. Even in an acoustically awful laminate floored room!!

12. warm18

warm18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bet it is!! It would be killing me too! keep us updated when you hook them up. Ive been blown away by the 4400 and the clarity and detail its brought.

13. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Nice!!
    I’m soo jealous. I’m consoling myself by trying to find the biggest screen that will fit wall to wall in my room!!

14. veedub

veedub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are you far from getting the B&W's set up? I have the 683 S2's set up atm on stereo duties, outstanding speakers for the money!

The B&W 683's will be partnered with a set of 685 S2's and the HTM61 S2 (3 way) centre (already purchased on sale) as part of an upcoming atmos build, working towards a 7.2.4 set up. On the amplification side I have a Marantz SR7012 and an MM7055 power amp to give the full 11 channels, again bought on discount before the SR7013 is released.

Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on what B&W In Wall and In Ceiling speakers would match well with the 600 series?

15. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    No, not set up yet, I’m so depressed I’m trying not to think about them sitting in the boxes!
    On the plus side we’ve just got back from Florida and whilst we were away the extension was finished, so in means soon we will be starting the cinema room.
    I’ve bought all the speakers and a sofa, amps and a receiver, which are all still sitting in boxes in our office (see photo).
    I’ve got the 683’s, htm61 s2 and 4 CCM362’s all brand new in boxes still.
    I’ve also got carpet and a setter for the cinema room, but I just need to build it!
    Need to move a fuse box, build a stud wall and decorate. Should be starting in the next week or so though.

Attached Files:

16. veedub

veedub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like you are making progress - keep us posted as things progress.

It will be a very similar setup to what I’m working towards, the SR7012 and X4400 are basically the same AVR from what I have read. Next on my list will be in ceiling speakers, not decided as yet but the CCM362’s do look like the best option for Atmos duties.

Also under consideration is what projector to go for, the Sony VW270ES is the preferred option (if budget allows), if not then the Epson TW9400 would be a contender - then you also have the new native 4K JVC’s... decisions decisions haha.

17. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Yes I am getting there!!
    Slow process, but I need to sit down and plan out the build of the cinema to make sure I cable everything at the right time and make ur all accessible.
    I’ve got an HD projector already the benq w1070, and won’t be upgrading to 4K in there until it’s a lot cheaper. I’ll use the discs though for the immersive sound formats.

I got my ceiling speakers from Sevenoaks sound and vision, got a discount off the second pair as it was an opened box, customer returned them as not needed, but have never got them out of the box.

18. Rym

Rym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The 683 s2 are a great speaker. They can dig pretty deep too!

19. veedub

veedub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    They are brilliant, currently I have them set up for with a Monitor Audio A100 stereo amp with sources consisting of an iMac for Apple Music and Rega Planar 1 Plus turntable. The sound quality with Vinyl is outstanding!!

Once the upcoming Cinema Room project is complete the 683 S2’s will be moving from stereo duties onto the fronts as part of a 7.2.4 setup.

20. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I’m soooo jealous....!

Mine are still in the box, since I bought them in August.
    My extension is now fully finished, and work stars on the cinema room in January,
    So hopefully in Feb....

21. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    .... and it’s finally done (save for the projector being up)
    But thanks to a handy stepladder and I can almost get a full picture on my screen albeit it’s not aligned correctly. The speakers are awesome, so much clarity and definition. And the bass! Sometimes I forget to turn my sub on!
    Haven’t watched a full film yet, just snippets of avengers infinity war and I love it!

22. veedub

veedub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Brilliant - glad to hear that it’s progressing well The level of bass from the 683 S2’s is outstanding, brilliant all round speakers.

My build is progressing well, wiring going in atm - with a JVC X5900 projector recently purchased, next think to buy is the in wall/roof B&W speakers.

23. SpuddybabyUK

SpuddybabyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Nice!

My projector shelf is going up tonight meaning the room will pretty much be done tonight.
    Just need a window sill and another coat of pain on the door. Exciting times.
    Then I can start enjoying it and give the speakers time to run in