B&W 683 - room dimensions requirement.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by erus1982, Feb 1, 2009.

1. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello guys, I have the B&W 685 HT (B&W 685's front and back, B&W HTM62, Denon 1909, B&W ASW610) and I'm considering replacing the fronts 685 with the B&W 683. My room is 6x3 meters. Is it too small for such an upgrade? What are the proper room dimensions for such a setup?

Thanks

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The main thing with the 683's is they need space around them to stop excessive bass peaks. They do come with foam bungs, which can be used in the flowports to reduce this when they are positioned close to walls. However, adding the bungs takes too much away, IMO, and affects the whole sound of the speaker.

B&W recommend 20 inches from side and back walls, generally, to prevent the boundary effect. If you can do this, then I'm sure they will work excellently in your room.

HTH,

T.

3. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    excellent, can I drive them with my Denon 1909? is it enough for them? Also, are they better for movies than my B&W 685 as fronts? I suppose i need to upgrade to HTM61 from the current HTM 62 as center right? Thanks.

Movies 70%, music 30%

4. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

5. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    IMO they will be too big (and I have tried them in a similar sized room). 20 inches either side is 500 mm so, assuming you put them across the short dimension, that takes off a metre. Then the speakers are about 200 mm wide so that's another 400 mm leaving 1.6 metres (about 6 ft) between them. Then in this space, you plan to put the HTM 61 centre which is 545 mm wide and you'll need to find another 300 mm or so for the sub.

That's apart from how it will sound.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The 1909 is not really a worthy amp for the 683's. You should be looking at Yam RXV1900/Onkyo 876/Denon 2809 minimum witht these speakers. I think the Pioneer SC-LX81 would work well with them also. Sounded fabulous on some B&W XT's.

If you think the 683's are going to be too big, then the 684's are also really worth looking at. Either way, I would get an HTM61 over a 62. It is considerably better, and is an excellent centre speaker for the money.

I think you can go closer to the walls with the 685's. After all, they may even benefit from a little of this, even though they are fuller sounding than other standmounts of that size. In regards to the bung, yes i think it ruins the overall presentation of them. i've tried the bungs on the 683's and 685's and on my own 805S (since I do have some low end peaks), but I found they didn't work. It's amazing how changing the bass of a speaker can completely change the midrange and treble. Often by using a sub to underpin speakers, it then sounds as though the treble has been extended, which then opens up the midrange. So, putting the bungs in can not only reduce the bass, but also make the mids lack definition and the speaker sound generally less extended overall.

7. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How will they sound? Boomy ? bad? so not worth it right?

Should i stick with my 685's then ? Should i get the HTM61 center with the 685's? Will it sound good with the 685's? (in case i upgrade to larger speakers in the future)

8. FrancescoNoir

FrancescoNoir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My 2p; I run 683s and HTM61 in a room the same size as yours. The 683s are in a corner and are not far from a wall. I can't place them anywhere else and they do sound a bit boomy at the bottom end. This effect should be less relevant if you use a sub. I have experimented with how they sound further from the wall - indeed they do sound better that way. Still, they sound good and I reckon that the benefits from the FST midrange driver outweigh the possibly boomy downside.

9. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hm, so do i need a better receiver to drive the 683's? I just bought the Denon 1909 1 month ago. They wont sound good with it? Shall I try and replace it with a better one?

10. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I really wouldn't dream of putting the 683's with a 1909. 685's, yes, but not 683's.

Things like monitor Audio's are quite sensitive so can run on lower powered amps. I'm not saying your system wouldn't work with the 1909, but you wouldn't buy a 4X12 and then put a 1.6 litre engine in it, would you now?

11. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

So a denon 2909 would do the job with ease? Or do i need a better like Denon 3908?

12. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It sounds as if you are looking for any justification to buy the 683s. So, if you have your heart set then this may be the best forward. Get the best amp you can afford, set the front speakers to small, set the crossover to (say) 60 hz. Then the sub will be handling the lower frequencies and it should tame the bass and even alow you to put the speakers closer to the corners. Of course, it may sound no better than the 685s but it'll satisfy your desire and impress your mates. If your heart is set on floor standers, why not try the 684s. I actually prefer them to the 683s (at least in my room). Whatever you do, don't skimp on the amp - the speakers deserve it.

13. dannydj

dannydj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    i have the 2809 and have been looking at the 684/3 or the upcoming cm09.
    B&W suggest an amp capable of anything between 30 - 200w ( thanks for the info !! ). i too would like to know if this is a 'capable' amp......as mine is/has been in a box till i buy some speakers and have yet to test it out.

14. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am a little dissapointed with the my B&W 685 theater, specially on B&W 610 subwoofer which i have almost 1.5 month broken. I didnt enjoy the bass from my system yet, because the subwoofer is faulty and waiting for a fix, that's why I'm considering possible upgrades to benefit my system, I feel, even with the sub working (which is an entry level), that the HT is somewhat lacking. I read good reviews for this HT, but I'm, sadly, already dissapointed. Will i get any improvements on the B&W 685 HT if i upgrade the Denon 1909 to 2809 or even 3808? If yes, then maybe the best for me would be dropping the silly B&W subwoofer and trading it for a better amp, while ordering a BK-monolith from the uk - and postpone any large speakers upgrade for now till I move to a bigger place. Or ofc do nothing if this is a waste of money... What do you think?

Sorry if this thread is endless or boring, I'm just searching for a way to improve my unlucky setup, on which i already spent my last hard working salaries.

Your opinion would be great. Thanks...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  15. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    YES. Better amp, better sub (maybe) - now your talking. Go listen to a few.

16. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Edit. IMO the 610 sub is too big for your room and not a good match for the 685s. The 608 would be better but try other makes as well. Also, I'd say the 685s are wasted as rears and the 686s would have been better but I wouldn't change them now that you have them. You really need to go out and do some serious listening though. Better still, audition at home if you can find a friendly dealer.

17. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    You must be joking. The 608 & 610 are piddly little subs.

erus1982, definitely consider the BK Monolith. I've got a big SVS cylinder in my room. I think definitely consider the Monolith. those small B&W subs just won't give you deep, clean bass the way a bigger one can. Bigger subs are not about cranking the level in big rooms. I use my SVS very subtley to give deeper octaves of bass. You generally need a bigger box to go deeper.

18. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The problem is i already bought a 610 which is broken and I'm waiting for a fix. Should i speak with dealer about trading it over a better amp? Will a Denon 2809 (or maybe 3808) sound better with my 685's OR is it a waste of money with my small speakers? (current amp denon 1909).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  19. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The 1909 will be okay with your speakers.

It's all a matter of matching the right amp with the speakers etc.

If you want a bigger, gutsier sound, then ultimately it's a whole new set of speakers, sub, and amp. If you particularly like Denon over other brands, then personally I would be looking at the 3808 with the 683's. Perhaps 2809 if you chose 684's, etc.

You could get away with the 610 if you are running 683's set on large. With amps like the 3808 and various other brands you can biamp the front two speakers to get even better performance.

In a nutshell, I don't think you will get the sound you're after just by changing the amp, and if you get bigger speakers, you need a bigger and better amp! That's basically it.

20. John R Baker

John R Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a pair of 683 in a small fromt room powered by an Onyko 906 (BiAmp)

When driving the speaker in pure or direct mode, the bass can be very "boomy", but when using the audesey for movie mode, the "boom" is not heard.

They are very good speakers, and the mid range is very good (IMHO)

21. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK guys, my budget is limited so a Denon 2809 (7x115W) do the job nicely for the 683's or should I save money for the denon 3808??