B&W 683 - amp requirement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by erus1982, Feb 4, 2009.

1. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, sorry if i make this post but i need an expert answer on this. My budget is limited, so will Denon 2809 do nicely with the 683's OR should i get the 3808? Thanks.

George

2. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Hi George,

On the basis of my experience of a B and W speaker system Driven by a Denon 2808 .. yes, certainly it would.

I have a mixture of 704 front Left and Right HTM61 center and 685 rears plus a BK sub and the 2808 works very well indeed .. given the proviso that it has only Two HDMI connectors input.

I'm not sure of how much an improvement the 2809 is over the 2808 but the 2808 is to be found at an end of line price of not much below £500 .....

DENON AVR2808 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Denon works very well with B and W.

Arnold.

3. FaustRizzo

FaustRizzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do you already have the speakers? If not, have you considered the 684s?

I have some experience with this having listened to either a 2808 or 2809 (can't remember which) with the 683s and I can't say I was too impressed tbh. I went to the shop with the full expectation of getting the 683s and demo'd the 683s and 684s with the receiver I'd be using them with at home i.e. the Denon. The 683s just didn't sound like £900 speakers, and I was rather disappointed. However, when I connected up the 684s I was astonished to hear a massive improvement despite the £200 cost saving, and on the basis of what I heard I bought the 684s. I am still extremely happy with them, having had them at home for a while now.

I spoke to the dealer for a while about the experience after the demo and he was not surprised, as he felt that the 683s need much higher quality amplification than a receiver can provide, ideally a separate power amp. He did however emphasise that they are great speakers and can really sing when driven by the right kit. Not having heard the 3808 I can't comment on whether this would provide the necessary improvement, but given that the power amp section of a receiver tends to be the weaker part I'm not sure it would.

Ultimately this is only my experience and the most important thing is to demo the equipment before you buy it, and don't buy on the spec sheet! Someone else may be entirely happy with the 2808/683 combo, and I guess it also depends on the style of music you listen to - with me it's a lot of metal and other guitar-based music. When listening to jazz on the speakers I found the difference far less noticeable.

I would agree that B&W and Denon make a good combination in general and have heard that from many other sources.

Of course if you have the speakers already, then you can go for an amp you can afford now and upgrade later, or add in a separate stereo or multi-channel power amp alongside the receiver to drive the fronts.

Good luck :thumbsup:

4. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey and thanks for your reply. No I don't have the speakers yet. What i have is: B&W 685's fronts and rears, B&W HTM62, Denon 1909 (plans to go for 2809), B&W ASW 610 sub (plans to go for a SVS PC-13 Ultra).

So I would like to enhance my system by replacing the fronts with something bigger. I thought B&W 683 have huge difference than the smaller 684, haven't demo them yet but i will. I read many different opinions, some say 683 are way superior and they worth the buy, others prefer the 684...

I don't want to upgrade again for the next 5-6 years. Will this system be "future-proof" in movies and music? Anybody else prefer the 684 over the 683? Btw, I'm currently living in a flat with a 6x4m living room. I will sometime move to a bigger place (10x5m), would 684 would the job nicely and fill the place with quality sound?

EDIT: How about driving 684's with Denon 1909? Too underpowered?

5. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I do have the B and W speaker set as I listed in my post and they have now settled in and perform very well indeed.

I already had the 2808 and I was obliged to replace my old Castle Harlech Speakers hence the Speaker hunt for something with similar characteristics that would work well with my Denon 2808..

The 704s were chosen with an ear toward their being used as a Stereo pair with an Arcam CD73T connected to the 2808 with cord cobra analogue interconnects for Music and the entire speaker kit being used with a Samsung 1400 Blue Ray player and a Sky HD Box.

I did consider the 'budget option ':rolleyes: of an entirely 600 system but the 704s plus the Arcam CD player for Music won me over ... oh the pain in the wallet ! :D

Arnold.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about driving 684's with Denon 1909? Too underpowered or OK ?

7. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I'd say O.K. .. Have a look at the Denon sites product comparison page for 1909 against 2808 and there isn't much in it on power ...

DENON UK | Information and technical specs | AVR-1909

Ho Hum ... my chosen comparators keep slipping off the link so you will have to insert your own.

The difference appears to be in capability and features and so you should be all right on power with 684 driven by 1909 .... but the best way to tell is to Audition your chosen system with your own choice of Stuff played on your own choice of source.

Arnold.

8. erus1982

erus1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I'll try audition the speakers with my gear but I'm not sure if will be possible in my house. However, Denon 1909 is 7x90w VS Denon 2808 7x110w or Denon 2809 7x115w. I don't think it's much of a difference right? So, 684 are OK with my current amp ? :thumbsup:

What about the HTM61? Are you happy with it? I'm planning getting that with the 684's over my current HTM62

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  9. ARNOLD AKIEN

ARNOLD AKIEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I'd say that its mostly a question of features but only you can decide whether the up-grade is worth the money. If I'd had the spare money at the time I'd probably have bought a 3808 but the price differential between it and my bargain 2808 at about £500 proved to be just too great .. as I recall it was about double the price to take one step up from the 2808.

The HTM61 works seamlessly with my 704 Front left and right speakers and I chose it as being very good with sibilance in speech ... too much ssss y ness sets my teeth on edge :devil: ... I'm such a sensitive creature.:rolleyes: I've been very happy with my entire system ... so far.Mind you I'll be replacing my Samsung 1400 with a Pioneer LX 71 real soon now. The Upgrading process never ceases but just tends to slow down from time to time.