B&W 675 vs Bk Xls 200

The B&W has more power and a larger enclosure so I would have to go with that.
I have actually owned the ASW675, which is a cracking compact sub btw, but I have never heard a BK, so maybe someone who has heard both would possibly disagree.

The B&W. No Question. :)

Don't know the 675 but judging by a bit of googling it looks to retail around £650.

Though the BK is an extremely competent performer I don't think anyone is claiming it can out-gun subs in the £600+ class.

So in terms of sheer power and slam the 675 probably will be the better sub, but in terms of value for money? I'll stick with the BK...PJ :)

Having owned the B+W but never having heard the BK, I cannot offer a fair comparison but I would agree with everything that has been said so far.

I would probably say that the performance gap won't be as large as some people think though.

Yes, the B&W is the better sub, but the BK is also a bit special, and if it is a good, compact sub you are looking for, there isn't much that can be the same size as the BK and beat it under £500.

That's true with all av equipment though, something which is twice the price won't necessarily be twice as good.
I'd like to hear a bk. It's difficult to get to hear a range of subs without buying a collection of them or going to dealers every weekend to demo kit without the intention of buying it...

Hi
I also have owned the asw675 and can vouch that its a great compact sub much better than the rel q150e (which i also owned)which retails for a little less.If you can afford it get the asw675 it has great slam and sounds good with music.It does require careful setting up though.
Cheers Gonzo. :)

Two BKs (sitting close together) might beat a 675 handsomely. :devil:

A single PB10 V B&W675 might be a better scrap. (going on reputation) :)

But I've only heard the '675. (Impressive)

Nimby

Nimby said:
Two BKs (sitting close together) might beat a 675 handsomely. :devil:

:nono:

I meant no. :)

I've heard both of these units, and the ASW675 is the better performer by quite some margin. Using dual subwoofers gives a little more output, but not enough in this case I'm afraid.

I would always choose one good subwoofer over 2 adequate subs. Without a second thought. :)

Scott3 said:

I've heard both of these units, and the ASW675 is the better performer by quite some margin. Using dual subwoofers gives a little more output, but not enough in this case I'm afraid.

I would always choose one good subwoofer over 2 adequate subs. Without a second thought. :)

First time I've seen the BK described as "adequate"! From the darling of the sub £500 bracket to an "adequate" also-ran in just a few days. How the mighty have fallen.

:) ...PJ

Maybe you need to hear yourself a few more subwoofers my friend. ;)

Scott3 said:

Don't forget the BK only costs £280 :) the ASW675 is £650, so it should be the better sub :)

I personally think two BK's would give the ASW675 a good run for its money if set up properly :). But, an SVS 25-31PC Plus would blow them all away :D :devil:

The BK is adequate when compared to the likes of the ASW675, the 20-39PC+ and the PB10, but in its price group, it is one of, if not the best there :). Let's not forget we are talking about a budget sub versus a mid range/high end sub.

Scott3 said:
Nah, the Mrs already nags me when the BK simulates a 40 ton artic driving through the house, anything more and I'd be stretching my luck!...PJ

Kazman said:
Let's not forget we are talking about a budget sub versus a mid range/high end sub.

Indeed we are, which is why I gave a simple answer initially. However, some people are under the illusion that dual subwoofers increases the performance dramatically and this simply isn't true. There are a number of benefits to a dual subwoofer arangement, but competing with subs a few leagues ahead isn't one of them! :rotfl:

Scott3 said:
Indeed we are, which is why I gave a simple answer initially. However, some people are under the illusion that dual subwoofers increases the performance dramatically and this simply isn't true. There are a number of benefits to a dual subwoofer arangement, but competing with subs a few leagues ahead isn't one of them! :rotfl:

Agreed, two subs will not magically change the sound quality, but it will help with headroom and SPL. The frequency range won't be effected much (although the headroom that is freed up will allow the original frequency repsonse of the sub to be more effective).

The BK is a great budget subwoofer, but it is not good enough to take on the likes of the ASW675, the Quad L subwoofer, the Servo 15 or the MJ Ref100 and Ref200.

Kazman said:
Agreed, two subs will not magically change the sound quality, but it will help with headroom and SPL. The frequency range won't be effected much (although the headroom that is freed up will allow the original frequency repsonse of the sub to be more effective).

The BK is a great budget subwoofer, but it is not good enough to take on the likes of the ASW675, the Quad L subwoofer, the Servo 15 or the MJ Ref100 and Ref200.

The frequnecy range will be affected when you add a second subwoofer, an extra subwoofer means you can deeper bass uncompressed.

What to know why....

Technially almost all subwoofer drivers when driven towards the output limits (assuming you have not exeeded the x-max excursion limits of the driver yet) run into power compression, they dynamicly compress, even without a infrsonic/subsonic filter helping them.

By adding a extra subwoofer and rebalancing the gains, the same SPL level will be produced but with a far less amount of power compression will occour, thus you can have deeper uncompressed bass with two subwoofers over a single subwoofer unit on it's compression limits.

If you want an example of what I am talking about check out these links and look at the *Dynamic range plots*....

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/604way/

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/704way/

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/1004way/

You can plainly see as subwoofers are driven twowards there limits the low end FR can be compromised.

Of course those tests are the worse case senareo as the test is pritty much Anechoic (no echo or reflections), in room we have obvously have room gains but still the effect happens eventually.

Didn't say it wouldn't be affected, I said it won't be affected by much :), I also stated that I think two BK's would definitely give the 675 a run for its money :D so I agree with you :D

The frequnecy range will be affected when you add a second subwoofer, an extra subwoofer means you can deeper bass uncompressed.

What to know why....

Technially almost all subwoofer drivers when driven towards the output limits (assuming you have not exeeded the x-max excursion limits of the driver yet) run into power compression, they dynamicly compress, even without a infrsonic/subsonic filter helping them.

By adding a extra subwoofer and rebalancing the gains, the same SPL level will be produced but with a far less amount of power compression will occour, thus you can have deeper uncompressed bass with two subwoofers over a single subwoofer unit on it's compression limits.

If you want an example of what I am talking about check out these links and look at the *Dynamic range plots*....

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/604way/

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/704way/

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/features/1004way/

You can plainly see as subwoofers are driven twowards there limits the low end FR can be compromised.

Of course those tests are the worse case senareo as the test is pritty much Anechoic (no echo or reflections), in room we have obvously have room gains but still the effect happens eventually.

rammsteinboy said:
Anyone know wich sub is the better one.

I think that the question is now academic as rammsteinboy has started another thread stating that he is about to order an SVS cylinder :rotfl:

Scott3 said:

Okay! I give in! The 675 was impressive. But I've never heard the likkle BK.:blush:
So I'll bow to your greater knowledge. :lesson:
Anything for a quiet life! :devil:

Nimby

Nimby said:
Okay! I give in! The 675 was impressive. But I've never heard the likkle BK.:blush:
So I'll bow to your greater knowledge. :lesson:
Anything for a quiet life! :devil:

Nimby

But you signed away a quiet life when you ordered an SVS :D :devil: :rotfl:

PJTX100 said:
Nah, the Mrs already nags me when the BK simulates a 40 ton artic driving through the house, anything more and I'd be stretching my luck!...PJ
You have to break 'em in gradually, while at the same time pushing your luck a little! :devil:
It's taken me several years and many upgrades to get from my 8" Mission to my DD15! :D
People around here long enough may remember all my "but my missis is'nt having it..." kind of speeches!!!

Oh and lying about size pre delivery is always advisable. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom