B&W 606 S2 V Monitor Audio Silver 100

Nk83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the MA Silver 100 and the newer B&W 606 S2? (I'll upgrade my amp soon, probably to rega brio or marantz PM 6007.)

I prefer the finish of the MA, but they're still more expensive that the B&W, despite their age. So I'm wondering, when it comes down to sound, which is a better option. Is the MA worth the extra?

I realise that MA might release a new set soon.

Any advice/thoughts/help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

I have the 606 mk 1 which have a lovely, full and clear sound. I haven’t heard either the S2 or the MA but if the S2 is as much of an improvement over the earlier model as various reviews suggest, then I would give them a try out.
370F1202-1AEC-483E-822C-23EAAC310298.jpeg

The only thing I can suggest is that you listen to both and pick the pair that puts the biggest smile on your face. When you'll be able to do so at a dealers is anyone's guess. If you are going to change your amp, again I suggest you audition both, then I would do so either with the speakers you are contemplating but certainly before buying new speakers.

As for the amps they are two different signatures. The Marantz will have a warmer, somewhat laid back approach to music that is so typical of Marantz. The Brio on the other hand will give a far more energetic approach with more bite in the mids than the Marantz (I am basing this on the older 6006). My personal choice would be the Brio and MA Silvers. That choice may be because I'm already a Rega owner and like the MA's signature.

The other difference between the Marantz and the Brio is that the Brio is a pure analogue amp with no digital inputs at all.

Rega Brio + B & W 606S2 = major smile on face. Recommended without reservation. i think they’re superb together; doesn’t mean you will, though. HiFi shops open soon. Wait until then for a demo or organise a home demo. Speakers are a very personal decision.

Thanks all.

Yeah, I'll try to arrange to listen to both.

So there's no clear winner between the two speakers? If I'm understanding correctly, they're both good, so it's about personal preference?

One consideration might be the size of your room. The Silver 100s have an 8 inch woofer, which would suit a bigger room.

Always best to compare if poss. Our opinions are subjective and take into account our own listening spaces which are always going to affect the sound as well as the myriad other factors.

One consideration might be the size of your room. The Silver 100s have an 8 inch woofer, which would suit a bigger room.
Yeah, it's a big room -- or more of a big open kitchen/sitting room.

I'm reading that MA could well release an upgrade in the near future, possibly even later this year. So maybe best to wait for a while and see what happens with that.

I'll still arrange to listen to both.

What did you decide on this?

I am trying to decide between them both too

@Gasp3621 still have them and love them!!

I am toying getting a 2 channel setup for our open plan room at the back - nothing as fancy as the Dali!

I was eyeing up used b&w 606 or MA Silver 100 as reduced plus maybe a Marantz 6006. I wanted a Rega but no optical connection.

Do share your thoughts.

I should probably start a new thread too...

@Gasp3621 still have them and love them!!

I am toying getting a 2 channel setup for our open plan room at the back - nothing as fancy as the Dali!

I was eyeing up used b&w 606 or MA Silver 100 as reduced plus maybe a Marantz 6006. I wanted a Rega but no optical connection.

Do share your thoughts.

I should probably start a new thread too...

I doubt the 6006 would get the most out of Silver 100s, look something better - 2nd hand options perhaps at the classifieds or some ex-demo/ex-display units cheaper. Hopefully you can listen them both speakers before buying, Audio-T should carry both if you have shop near you. They going to sound quite different. MA has the nice veneer finish, B&W vinyl wrap. Keep in m ind you also need some speaker stands so +100£ roughly. Below link has few ex-display Silvers.

I doubt the 6006 would get the most out of Silver 100s, look something better - 2nd hand options perhaps at the classifieds or some ex-demo/ex-display units cheaper. Hopefully you can listen them both speakers before buying, Audio-T should carry both if you have shop near you. They going to sound quite different. MA has the nice veneer finish, B&W vinyl wrap. Keep in m ind you also need some speaker stands so +100£ roughly. Below link has few ex-display Silvers.

@Gasp3621 I'll open a new thread and cc you. Hope you don't mind us talking this through 🙏

What did you decide on this?

I am trying to decide between them both too
Hi Darren,

Sorry for slow response. I didn't decide, yet, for several reasons. I also saw that MA has released a new series, so I'll wait to see if I can pick up the Silver 100 at a reduced price in the next few months. Let me know what you decide?

Can you tag me on your new thread, please? Interested in the discussion. Cheers.

Hi, I bought a pair of MA Silver 100s 6th gen in clearance. I got them for £460.

If you're going to get them then I'd do it asap as they are selling out rapidly.

I'm still undecided if to change them for b&w 606 even though I prefer the sound of the MA.

I think I'd prefer the vinyl wrap but more importantly they are a smidge smaller than the Silver 100s which for the room helps. They're massive speakers!

I've been using them since yesterday and they sound so good though. I'm also in a big open plan room

Would be foolish to change em for B&W 606. 706 S2 range i would understand, but won´t be cheap.

"I've been using them since yesterday and they sound so good though"

Don´t fix it, if it ain´t broken!

They got Best Buy at AVF review for reason!

Would be foolish to change em for B&W 606. 706 S2 range i would understand, but won´t be cheap.

"I've been using them since yesterday and they sound so good though"

Don´t fix it, if it ain´t broken!

They got Best Buy at AVF review for reason!
As ever @Gasp3621 you are my voice of reason when I have my doubts!

Here is the setup for now until my media cabinet comes (same birchwood finish). My wife hated the stands I tried so this is the life compromise...

Attachments

• 20210904_172216.jpg
    20210904_172216.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 366
Hope it is wider than that and about ~60cm high so you get the speakers wider apart and at correct height. You probably aren`t listening them close range?

Eqaul+Triang.jpg

Hope it is wider than that and about ~60cm high so you get the speakers wider apart and at correct height. You probably aren`t listening them close range?

Eqaul+Triang.jpg
The unit is 180cm wide, the other one will be as well. I thought that would be wide enough but I must admit I am concerned.

The height will be 60cm whereas the current unit is 50cm.

How wide apart should the speakers be?

Eqaul+Triang.jpg
5 feet is 150cm!

@darrenhaken - your 180cm or (6ft 😉) unit will be fine - as long as the 100's are placed at or near each end of it...

Other than that, I agree with everything @Gasp3621 says about swapping to the B&W 606's - If you like the 100's don't change them. They'll grow on the wife too! 🙂

The unit is 180cm wide, the other one will be as well. I thought that would be wide enough but I must admit I am concerned.

The height will be 60cm whereas the current unit is 50cm.

How wide apart should the speakers be?

The same distance you sit from them. I thought you said it was large room you probably lot further away.. For 2ch listening the equilateral triangle is almost always highly recommended.

For 2ch listening the equilateral triangle is almost always highly recommended.
But not always possible. The 100's are (imo) pretty forgiving speakers. I think they'll sound great placed as I propose. It's the minimum distance apart that MA recommend true, but it's not as if they're really close or considered under powered in any way either!

If we all had to follow the ideal, optimum or recommended placement of speakers, to enjoy sound. I doubt any of would bother and we'd all be using Bluetooth headphones! 🤣😉 Especially given most people aren't fortunate enough to have dedicated listening/Cinema rooms...

Houses over the pond rarely have these size constraints. A fact that I am always envious of! 🤣

Speaker placement is the first thing to get right, but if the wife is the boss in the house then bigger compromises must be made. :) At least the height of the unit is fine and if not sitting too far away it will work ok. Of course you want always optimize things, especially after buying expensive speakers.

Speaker placement is the first thing to get right, but if the wife is the boss in the house then bigger compromises must be made. :) At least the height of the unit is fine and if not sitting too far away it will work ok. Of course you want always optimize things, especially after buying expensive speakers.
I need to try and find some attractive stands. She hates the Atacama Moseco

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom