1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 603s with bad recordings

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by daveb975, Jan 16, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have been doing some back to back tests with my B&W DM603S3s and my old Mordaunt Short MS816 floorstanders.

The B&Ws are leagues ahead on most of the discs I have tried, especially the better recorded discs (Bob Marley remasters, AC/DC remasters etc)

However, when changed to a poorly mastered disc (eg Velvet Revolver's Contraband), the B&Ws do not like it at all, and the Mordaunt Short's seem to deal with it a lot better.

Has anyone else found this with these speakers?

2. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Broadly speaking, it is probably a good sign on the transparancy of the B&Ws. Play some mp3s on them and you'll probably cringe. I have a similar situation on my system (though admittedly its not in the same league as those B&Ws)

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I get the same thing with my Quads, very transparent, and bad recordings are shown up quite ruthlessly. I tend to buy well produced CD's now, and to be honest there shouldn't be any excuse in this day and age, all CD's should be well produced, but alas, there are too many companies scrimping and using awful compression techniques.

4. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember when I was testing my 602's all those years ago, I played Queens "Made in heaven" (last album before FM passed away), which is an incredibly harsh sounding record, and the 602's handled it beautifully. Maybe it had something to do with my amplifier though.