1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&w 603s or MA bronze B2 for AV?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ab1385, Oct 16, 2004.

1. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    If you had the option between:

B&W 603 (S1 I think)
    B&W CC6 Centre
    B&W DS6 Bipolar rears
    Upgrade the sub later
    (All second hand)

and the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 system (new), what would you go for? Just after opinions here, I'm after a new setup and could go for either. Music probably more important than movies, and my room is about 6x5 metres...

What do you reckon? Which should I plump for?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think the best the way to tell what you want and really the only way to be sure is to listen to both sets of speakers and make your mind up what sounds best to you.
    MA are good and so are B&W but have a listen to be sure what ones you prefer ;)

John :)

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The B&W option would outclass the MA Bronze package considerably, the closest comparison to the B&W 600 series would be the MA silver series. As recruit said above, go and have a listen and make your own mind up but I'd be surprised if you didn't prefer the B&W 600s over the MA Bronze.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,
    A lot will depend on what you have driving them. The B&W's may require a bit more power than the MA's so choice of amps will be important. There is quite a big difference in the way the 2 speaker packages 'sound'. As Crusty and recruit have said the only way is to listen to them for yourself.

5. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I know, problem is, one of them's an eBay auction! Juts wasn't sure whether to bid or not..

6. yant

yant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As with many things in life, you will get a better quality/price ratio if you buy second hand than if you buy new. New, the BW 603 S3 is a £600 speaker new while the MA B2 is £200. We are talking totally different ballparks.

For the second hand, you must consider how much improvement (if any) has there been between the S1 and the S3 (vs current MA model) and how much wear and tear the speakers has had in its life. Risks associated with buying second hand and value you give to the feeling of buying something "new" might also enter in the equation. I would tend to agree that a second hand 603 S1 is likely to seriously outclass the MA B2.

If you were to buy new and compare similarly priced products however, your conclusion might be different. Personally, at similar price point, I prefer the MA Silver series over the B&W 600 series. Of course new, you can go for a demo (sevenoaks stock both these brands) and make your own mind.

7. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    603 series 1s are a little bit boomy (IMHO) im having same dilema as you. there are too many speakers to choose from! :suicide:

8. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Well, after all this, and after managing to somehow persuade myself not to get the KEF Q5 and Q9c off eBay for about £450, and after persuading myself not to get the B&Ws off eBay. 601s for about £50! But still, after having mucked around with settings on my sub, I've fallen in love with my Mordaunt Short 904s again... they may get a bit bright at times, much much less so than they used to though, but they are so detailed, and so smooth with most of the stuff I listen to that I can forgive them. Trying to decide what to do with my rears now though, I have TDL nucleus 2s atm. I'm considering upgrading to the matching MSs, but in truth, as rears, I don't think theres anything wrong with the Nucleus 2s anyway.

I think that I'll have to be convinced by something being very special before I decide to upgrade after all. :)