1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b&w 603 s3 and wiring..?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by smargi, Jul 27, 2005.

1. smargi

smargi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i see alot of wiring cable out there and with all kind of thikness i like to know what is the correct way to connect a speaker and what is the difference between the top connection of the speaker or the bottom of the speaker...?

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The two sets of connections are to allow bi-wiring or bi-amping: one set is for the HF (high frequency) units, one for the LF (low frequency).

You don't need to do that, though. Get some decent multi-strand thick copper speaker cable, and connect the positive (red) output of the amp to one of the positive inputs on the speaker, then use a short length of cable (or the bars B&W provide) to join to the other positive binding post. Do likewise for the negatives.

Note that the cable need not be expensive. Speaker cable, contrary to what high-end manufacturers will tell you, is not rocket science. A good basic starting point is QED 79-strand or equivalent. I don't believe anyone can tell the difference between that and any other properly-made cable in a blind test.

Keep the cable lengths as short as you can - don't go crazy on this, but avoid having redundant coils of it hanging around. You'll hear advice to keep the lengths the same: this is nothing to do with timing, but is to try to match the resistances. For decent cable, this is not very critical at all.

Hope that helps.