• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question B&W 603 S2 Rattling mid speaker - help needed

forged83

Novice Member
I’ve just picked up a pair of 603 s2 which sounded good when tested at the people I bought them from (without very bass heavy music though). Just set them up and tried them with a few different tracks but with a grumbly bassy track there’s a clear disparity between the two speakers, with noise from the top section of one of them. Not a rattle but abit of a farting noise. I’ve heard blown speakers before and it doesn’t sound like that but one sounds mint and the other most definitely doesn’t.
Swapped them round from left to right sides and the same speaker is having the problem (and the previous speakers sounded perfect - 601S3s).
Externally the speaker looks fine and I can’t find any loose connections but there’s a definite rattly quality to the one speaker.
Any advice will be very welcome. Just shelled out on what were (for me at least) going to be an investment for home speakers for a long while and feeling like a bit of a mug for missing it. It’s a ll I can hear now I’ve heard it!

forged83

Novice Member
Thanks, I’d found those guys on another post. Think the woofer probably needs replacing but wasn’t sure about the mid - wasn’t sure if there’s any diagnostics I can do to make sure the parts need replacing or that just replacing them will fix the issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom