B&W 603 review.

Helix Hifi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have on loan a pair off this speakers. The shop said they were being used as demo, and not fully properly burned in. In my small room they work surprisingly fine! Why I have no idea. Maybe the hifi-gods are smiling down on me. Compared too my Tannoy Mini GR obviously the B&W have the edge in the bass department. But my Tannoy have better imagine which I sometime miss. I have had many B&W speakers before, and all of them needed about 100-hours. I’ve stayed away from B&W the last few years after they came out with the old 700-series. But the CM 7 from B&W was good. But the 700-series all had harsh treble! But boy these B&W sing well. Just hope they we’ll smooth out a bit in midrange. I have to Monday to decide. You know it’s funny Dali Ikon2 6 Mark 2 did not sing at all in my small room. Muddy, sharp, all over the place sound. Downsize is that the 603 doesn’t look the part, but looks aren’t all.

I do think I’ll keep the B&W 603. They are amazing speakers! Finally Bowers have finally tamed the treble frequency. The midrange is classic B&W style; open, airy, lifelike. But those two bass drivers. They rock. The bass is deep, full and fun to listen too. Perhaps a bit dry. But hey that’s a neutral bass if you ask mean. The speakers can play very loud with my Marantz PM8006 with out hint of distortion, or clipping. Over all I’d say the B&W 603 have a warm sound that can be neutral when they want to. So too all you guys that perhaps are suggesting to buy these speakers go for it. Perhaps a minus is the look. But you soon we’ll forget it when you listen too them the first time. So I think these we’ll be next speakers soon...

Another update... The Bowers are just amazing with my Marantz PM8006. If you’re curious about these speakers, and you feel you need a 200 watt amplifier to get the best out them don’t worry they sing with 70 watts! Just buy an amplifier with RMS watt that has a continuous power control in the long run. I now had them for about 18-hours continuing burn in. In the store they hadn’t had substantial burn in yet, but they did play well after all. After I came home I streamed music on 9 clock to get the drivers to loosen them up substantially. What strikes with the 603 speakers are they are dynamic and relaxing also. I’d say Marantz, Rotel, Xindak ( Xindak have a lot of problems though) Music Fidelity and of course Arcam are top contenders to make the 603 sing well. Hegel are a perfect match also.

But the Dali Oberon 5 are my new favorite. See my other tread. The 603 are just too expensive when you expect a class leading sound! So about half the price of the 603 you’ll get a much better speakers depending on amp, source and room...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but these are currently £699 at Peter Tyson instead of £1499.

Maybe could help someone.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but these are currently £699 at Peter Tyson instead of £1499.

Maybe could help someone.

Man this very tempting.

As mentioned above I was quite surprised by the B&W 603 speakers, but in the end preferred the Dali Oberon 5, and still do.

The good news is since the 603 go deeper in the bass they don’t sound as forward sounding as the 606/607. But for people who owns these speakers perhaps subwoofer can solve this, and every room is different. Different hearing too, so sound is subjective.

Still for that price I can understand why someone would buy them. They are not super difficult drive, still this depends on the amplifier. My PM8006 worked well with them. Adds some warmth too. They are incredibly neutral speakers which don’t add or take anything away, so perhaps not for everyone.

I had the chance too listen to the B&W 700 stand mounted speakers a few days ago. The sound is super clean. Voices is very impressive, and this is something I miss on my Dali Oberon 5 speakers sometimes. But I found the B&W sound is not for me in the end. I prefer warmer sounding speakers.

But if anybody buys them, please update your listing impressions. Good luck.

Try the Focal 816

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom