B&W 602S3 to 603S3 - upgrade?

bbanduser

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a B&W 602S3 and am very happy with it. But the fever's upon me to upgrade,and hence I am looking for a floorstander. I have been offered a B&W 603S3 at £350. Now my question is - is this an upgrade? How much of an imporvement can I expect? I will be driving it with a pair of Acam amps(8R and 8P).

Is there any possibility of performance going downhill at all?

Just feeling nervous before taking the plunge,as the 602's sound very good and I don't want to be disappointed.

I will be driving it with a pair of Acam amps(8R and 8P).
Great, you actually believe I have sent the amps to you. That should give me a chance to sell them to a few other people before you set the dogs on me :devil: .

A good set of floorstanders, which I believe the 603's are, will give better bass than any bookshelf speakers within the same range.
If you will be useing the Arcams & 603's as part of an AV setup then the chances are that for music you will not have the sub connected as this is normally connected from the sub pre-out on the receiver. Therefore the added bass from the 603's should make a large improvement over the smaller 602's. I've never owned or used the 602's so am unsure as to how much of an improvement the bigger speakers will make.

Mark.

Hi Mark,
Yeah, that is counting the chickens before they are hatched,isn't it? Should stop doing that really.
I do not use the sub when I listen to music anyway,and I sure won't use it with the Arcams driving my fronts.
The 602'S do very well in the bass department, in fact, they do better than many floorstanders I have heard. But I haven't heard the 603'S, hence the doubt and concern, as I don't want to downgrade by accident.
When are you selling your 603's? Any chance of selling it separately?

Don't push your luck! You already got the Arcams before the arrival of my new kit. :D
As I said to you before I will be selling my speakers and 3802 once the new Lexicon & Blue Sky's arrive. At first I want to keep the speakers as a set as it will make my life easier, but if they don't sell that way then I'll split them up.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom