1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 602 S3 speakers too big for my room?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pineapple, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Pineapple

Pineapple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is only around 4 x 4m and I am worried that such a smallish room is not a fitting place for a pair of these large bookshelf speakers. Does anyone own them and have them set up in a small-medium room? is there a rule for large speakers and small rooms?

Oh and the other alternative I have is the 'Monitor Audio Silver S1' pair. I have yet to audition them but I am under the impression that they are a little bit smaller than the 602 S3's.

Thanks!

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,413
    Review of using the B&Ws in different sized rooms here

Noticed you refer to them as "large bookshelf" speakers...to get the best from them you want to use some decent speaker stands (sorry if you already know this!)

3. Pineapple

Pineapple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm already aware of the need for proper speaker stands. Thankyou for the review though, it was certainly very helpful! It's comforting to know that the speakers still sound good in relatively small rooms, but the review did state that they sounded better in larger enclosures.

Thanks again!

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My room is only 13' by 12', so about the same size as yours.
    I had the 602s2, not sure what the difference is between the s2 and s3.
    I thought that they sounded good, untill i changed to something else.
    Compared to the other speakers i have had, they sounded very flat, but that could be down to loads of things.....
    The amount of furnishings i have in the room or maybe it was just not the type of sound i was looking for.
    Maybe they might of sounded better in a bigger room, but for me in my room i was not impressed.........thow they were a lot better than the speakers they replaced.

5. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4X4 isn't a bad size for the B&Ws,but what is a problem,is that it's box shaped,that's the worst type of room you can have,now if it was 5x3 for instance,I think you'd have less problems with the bass,lower midrange,which may be a problem due to standing waves of all walls being equal.Then again it would be hard for any speaker not just the B&W602.

They would need to be well away from walls,back/side,but that eats a bit of space,as they are fairly deep speakers.Maybe best to try and see.

6. Pineapple

Pineapple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh another question that I had, is there any problem in having speakers setup in front of windows? I'm saying this because I live in an aprtment where space comes at a premium.

Will it matter if I setup the speakers in front of a window covered with blinds?

Thanks!