1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 602/603 S3 speakers advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Tampondon, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Tampondon

Tampondon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've been shopping around for a new hi fi system, and I am interested in buying B&W speakers.

I was originally going to go for the 602 S3 shelf speakers, but I have now given thought to perhaps picking up the 603 S3's. The guy in the shop i went to was offering a pretty competitive £250 for the 602's, and £500 for the 603s.

But he was suggesting I pick up a harmon kardon amp to play them though, specifically the HK 675 £250 again.

I've not managed to turn up much information at all on HK amps let alone the 675.

I was personally contemplating getting the Rotel RA-01/02 or the Marantz PM7200 before he mentioned the HK amp.

Would anyone be able to help me with a bit of information on which amp would be good to power either of these speakers, and also if HK amps are any good because I have not been able to turn up much on them at all.

I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, but I don't want voices/treble to suffer as a result of inferior components, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

2. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    stick with the rotel choice for the amp HK arnt bad they just arnt as good a match as the rotel for B&W speakers, also i would stick with the 602's unless you have a prettyy large room then the bass will feel bloated. my 601's do very well in a room 12' by 11' and havnt felt the need for a sub as yet. just make sure you get good stands and fill them with kiln dried sand improves the bass no end.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Go 2nd hand on the lot and save a load of money or keep the same budget and buy something better!

4. Tampondon

Tampondon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys!

What could I get for the same budget that's better brand new?

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Not a lot that's better new, just different. By buy something better I meant if you also went 2nd hand.

6. peterlowe

peterlowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there,

Incidently, I have just upgraded this week from a pair of DM602 S3 to the DM603S3, the latter of which i purchased 2nd hand on ebay! :eek: There is no doubt that you would get much (!) enjoyment from the 602s as I have done hooked up to my Rotel RA02 and Rotel RCD02 for the last year. They are simply phenominal value for money and you will appreciate the bass presence in rock/pop and a very strong soundstage for acoustic/live stuff considering the price :thumbsup:

About a month or two ago, I brought the RA-1062 off ebay for an incredible 375 pounds, good as new, selling my RA-02 amp for a respectible 230 pounds! I have to say the difference is very noticable, as now details are much more defined, and all aspects of the music seem stronger with taughter, more powerful bass. Next on my list for purchase were the 603s...

Purchased on ebay for 400 pounds, as new, they were definately a notch above the 602s... definately! I had heard them previously parnered with the RA-02 and work effectively to some extent, though the sound became a little 'soft' when pushed up towards the limits. Certainly, no such incidence has occurred with the RA-1062 which drives these speakers phenominally well. Yesterday, I decided I would push pedal to the metal with Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'. I can tell you now... this system CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE - breathless clarity at near-live volumes. The composure and clarity exerted at high volumes with the 603s is def. a notch above the 602 and very formidable with the RA-1062. Naturally, at twice the price of the 602s, the 603s sound better in all respects - Now bass is powerful but more punchy and seperated (where sometimes bass could be a bit muddy on the 602s) and details come with more precision and better placed in a more cohestive holographic soundstage.

BTW - If you get your Rotel and B&W system, look on ebay for a 0.5 metre Kimber Silver Streak interconnect - It really really works well with the combo.

Hope this helps

- Pete

7. Tampondon

Tampondon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete,

Thanks for the great heads up on the B&W & Rotel Combo.

I think I might go for the 602 S3's (as much as I want the larger 603's) but my rooms only about 12*16 or so, so it's prob not wise getting those behemoths.

I'll definitely look for those 0.5 metre Kimber Silver Streak interconnects.

Just the amp that bugs me, should I go for the seemingly more powerful HK (75 watts) or the more refined rotel, oh well i'm sure ill work something out, but thanks again.

One last thing which stands would you guys recommend for the 602's?

Thanks fellas!

8. stuman

stuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    just trying to throw another alternative to you there is the cambridge audio azur range. this amp also gives you a good mnediation point between the hk and rotel wattage wise. at 65 ive never had to go past the 2 o'clock position and that is PLENTY loud enough and the bass still has control at those levels, admitidly i do only have the 601's but im sure the cambrige will be able to handfle the 602's just aswell.

as for the sound i would say it holds alot of punch for a 65wpc amp. also the highs are ever so slightly on the emphasised side, which is to my liking as the style of music a listen to mostly over emphasises the bass, this 'removes the shroud' that a layed back amp could over do with trance techno house styles of music. the mids are also pretty sweet, nothing spectacular but they do sing with female vocal pretty nicley. and last but not least the bass. well controlled and when driven still has the ooomph to control the speakers well.

all in all i would recomend the 602 and azur 640 package for the price. awesom pairing.

me.

9. peterlowe

peterlowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the Atacama Nexus 6 speaker stands with my 602s, filled with their own branded 'Atabites', that incidentally really DO make a difference to the sound, mainly in the tone of the midrange and the bass was slightly more incisive. They are good looking stands (subjectively) and supposed to be very good indeed at the price: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=372

I would have thought the RA-1062s would have plenty of power for the 602s - I could only get the volume knob half way before hiting the limits of the speakers with the majority of rock and pop! Although rated a conservative 60wattsx2, Hifichoice deemed the 'actual rating' to be 95wattsx2. Check out this review: http://europe.rotel.com/reviews/pdfs/int-amps/ra1062-hifichoice-mar04.pdf

Hope this helps!

- Pete