1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b&W 601's (PAIR) used as centre speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andydeacon, Jun 2, 2004.

1. andydeacon

andydeacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I had a B&W CC6 with my home cinema setup which consists of B&W 603S2 (front pair), CC6 centre, REL Q100 Subwoofer, 4 x Mission 70DS surrounds.

Having upgraded to a Rotel RMB-1075 power amp I noticed a problem in my system. Basically the CC6 wasn't up to the job (the weakest link). I visited Audio T in High Wycombe for advice who demoed my speaker against the LCR60 centre which I was largely impressed with, but then they suggested I try using a bookshelf pair of speakers instead of just one dedicated centre speaker. I haven't really thought of this before. I was told the RMB-1075 was more than capable of producing enough power for two speakers from its centre channel output.

In the demo room, the results with the smaller B&W 600 pair where not as pleasing as the LCR60, the treble was too harsh and distorted (although the speakers demoed hadn't been used before so it may have gotten better once they had worn in). I then asked that they demo a pair of the larger 601 bookshelves. The result with those was much better (likened to the LCR60) but with two speakers the sound seemed more balanced and better spread across the front soundstage from speaker to speaker.

I have the 601s running at home now located on a TV cabinet either side of a 28" TV and I must admit the sound is much clearer and dynamic than in the days of the CC6. With the positioning of the 601s watching TV can be a little strange if sitting off to one side as one 601 speaker appears louder than the other. However with movie viewing on my Sanyo PLVZ2 projector and 7ft screen this problem doesn't exist.

Does anyone else have any opinion on using two normal bookshelf speakers as a centre. I took the advice of the hifi store, but I would like to know what others think of this kind of setup. I have the 601 tweeters at the same height as the tweeter units on the 603s and at the same distance from the listener. Is this the best position?

2. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoa hold on a minute there!

You using 2 bookshelf speakers for the centre? In addition to two other fronts???? You have space for 4 speakers on your wall???

Blimey... :confused:

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That setup is meant to be very good for large projections screens that you can't put a single speaker behind. If you like it, then that's cool.

4. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't understand - you don't have room for a single centre speaker but you have room for 4 along the front?

5. andydeacon

andydeacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to those of you who replied. :thumbsup:

I have a wide TV stand with enough room to put the two 601s either side of the TV, then the main left and right are placed about a metre away from each speaker.

With this setup, I must admit it sounds great (having had a week or so to listen to them). It does work better with the Projector screen as apposed to watching stuff on the 28" TV, but I am mainly interested in the big sound when I am watching movies so that is cool.

So for my money I am happy using two centres. After all they were cheaper than going for an LCR600 dedicated centre and (I am told by the dealer), could outperform the LRC600.

If anyone is interested, I will get a picture of the setup I am using and will post it here.

6. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I would be interested to see a picture if its not to much hassel. I would bet that 2 dedicated centers would 'sound' even better ;)

CaM

7. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is your 28" LCD?

It's just that I didn't think 601s were shielded, so don't you get a weird effect on your screen when using them.

I did when I used to use a 601s2 as my centre speaker.

Steff

8. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh i get you now!

out of interest have you tried having just the one centre?

9. andydeacon

andydeacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The two 601S3's I am using are not magnetically shielded although they are far enough away from my TV to stop stray magnetic forces (at least the screen still looks great). I was told the speakers need to be around 20cms away from the TV tube.

Now that the 601S3 have settled in, I am extremely pleased with the sound. I was listening to an Audio CD last night in Prologic II Music mode and was overwelmed by how good it actually was. There were several different positions I tried the 601 in, even put them together to emulate one centre speaker but the best result was when they were separate. It sounds more natural, the sound is natural and the entire image is wider and is a vast sonic improvement over the CC6 I used to have.

I have attached a couple of diagram pictures of the room layout. It is not completely to scale, but gives you an idea of how it is set up and positioned. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

10. andydeacon

andydeacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is an actual picture of the room, but in the days before the 601's. Oh and the crappy chair in the picture has gone too (but not the cat!)

Attached Files: