1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 601s fronts and Monitor Audio BFX rears

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by corh5, May 20, 2005.

1. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Bit of a dilemma, I have a Denon AV 1804 with B&W 601s (series 1) as fronts and Monitor Audio BFX as rears, I just cant seem to set them up properly, maybe there not a great match tonally, but unfortunately my room is fairly small 3 metres by 3 metres and as a result I sit up against the back wall so the BFX (hence why I chose them) are directly behind me (on rear wall, not side).

As a result I sit about 3 metres away from the fronts and the rears are probably a metre either side of me.

Ideally I would like to have had B&W 601s as rears too but by the time they would have been on speaker brackets as I sit directly against the wall they would have been in front of me if you see what I mean. Questions are?

1.Does anyone else have this speaker combination and if so what do you think of it.

2.I use QED XT 350 cable for the fronts and QED Ultra flat Qontour cable for the rears. Would upgrading to say QED silver Anniversary make an improvement, I cant afford QED XT 350 as that would cost in excess of £200 for the length needed.

3.This might be a silly one, but if you had all the same speakers in a 5.1 configuration would music sound exactly the same from the rears as it does the fronts. Currently I much prefer the sound from the fronts (B&Ws 601s) than the rears.

4.Could you recommend another rear speaker that could sit flush against wall that would be better with the 601s

5.Are the Monitor Audio SFXs significantly better than the BFXs. I noticed on their web site that they both had the same 2 x 25mm Gold Dome C-CAM tweeter.

6.Any other suggestions to improve current set up.

Sorry bit long winded

Thanks

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi corh5,

I'm no expert on these matters, so I hope someone else can give you better advice.

I think your B & W's have kevlar drivers? If so, then from what little I know about matching different brands, you should have kevlar cones on your surrounds. Whereas the monitor audio BFX & SFX have metallic drivers.

I'm getting some Quad's for fronts & can't incorporate them as rears, so I'm getting the Wharfedale Diamond 9DFS, which are bipolars like the Monitor
    Audio BFX (although the BFX can be dipolars also if wanted). The Wharfedales
    are kevlar cones like the Quads. I was thinking of getting the BFX, but opted for the Wharfedales for this reason.

Like you I have small listening area, & my sofa is against back wall, so I will be putting the Wharfedales a couple of feet above listening position.

I haven't installed all this yet, since I need to decorate first, so I can't tell you how good/bad the Wharfedales are. But I guess they are something to consider & demo if you can.

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What exactly do you mean by 'not set up properly'?

Have you run the amp's configuration and adjusted the volume levels for individual channels? It may be that the rears are just too loud for where you're sitting. When a test tone is played they should be exactly the same volume as the fronts in an ideal world. Tonal matching of rears is much less important than it is for fronts and centre, and it shouldn't worry you as much as it clearly is. Try setting it up using the amp again before splashing out more cash.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Tom and suggest that you either buy or borrow an SPL meter so that you can check accurately that the output levels are the same to all five speakers. Most miultichannel music doesn't have a great deal of rear information anyway as it is mainly ambience

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    1. Don't have this speaker combination but do sell all of those speakers, not idela but should work ok. You reall shuod have your rear speakers on the wall either side of you if you are right on the back wall, otherwise the sound will pass right over your head.

2. Speaker cable will improve things a little but not the problem you're having.

3. It depnds on how the disc is mixed or how much information your AV reciever decides to send to the rears, but in theory if they are sent the same information and you are in the same position relative to your rear speakers as you are to your fronts then yes they shouod sound the same.

4. The best match would be the B&W DS6 S3 which is specifically designed to acoustically match the rest of the 600 series as well as mounting almost flush to the wall, well reasonably anyway. These retail for £500 a pair. There is also an inwall version called the CDS6 S3.

[​IMG]

B&W DS6 S3

5. Only what I've already said, move your speakers to either side of you. If you are still not hapy then get the DS6s.