1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 601 S2's & NAD?? good match?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by meinbrain, Oct 18, 2004.

1. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've just bought myself a NAD 352 amp and 542 CD player. I have these paired with some mordaunt short 902's atm. during the demo, they had em hooked up with polks (i think) and tbh, it sounded fantastic (if a liitle short on the bass). with the MS, i dont get quite the WOW factor. they still sound good but not quite the same thing. u get me?? now, i was maybe thinking of getting some 2nd hand bookshelf spkrs like the B&W DM601 S2's. do you think i should???

also, i listen to a lot of burnt cds rather than real ones. i found out there was a slight improvement in sound when using real cds as apposed to burnt ones on the MS/NAD system. i also like the sound of MS and they sound very 'crisp' and clean. a mate had some S3's (the big stand mount 1's?) linked with a teac ref/legacy midi hi-fi and it sounded 'pants'. it didnt sound very crisp/clean at all. well, in my opinion!

so Q is, shall i bother getting some new spkrs and if so, which ones would you recommend. budget is £100 or less. i listen to lots of music and various types and mainly on burnt 1's . bookshelf for definite. and no bigger in size than the MS. limited space. (also, i cant really crank it up much like i ususally do. in crappy shoebox uni halls...again)

many thx

2. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi from one uni student to another! ;)

I have a Rotel 01 amp, a NAD 521i CD and some B&W S2s and personally i think they sound fantastic! Obviously you've got a different amp to me so there might be some oomph differences, but I listen to both new and burnt CDs and there *is* a slight improvement with 'new' CDs as you say.

The B&Ws don't give out a blast of bass - probably good for your mates in the room next door - but they purr nicely imo.

I think it all depends on personal preference, but I love them - and got mine for about £100 inc. delivery from eBay a few months back. As long as they've been fed on a nice diet music and not thrashed you'll get a bargain mate :D

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    meinbrain:

Sounds like you prefer a cleaner, sharper, sound to a relaxed, warm one. If this is the case you may want to try a different amp or CD player as NAD tend to be at the warmer end of the scale. However, if you are set to get some different speakers, try Monitor Audio Silver range which has a very open and crisp sound. I would avoid KEF and Castle, if my assumption of your tastes is correct.

Russell

4. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    russraff: when i went to test the NAD, the speakers they used were definitely metallic tweeters & drivers and they sounded very nice. they didnt sound warm as you suggest. plus, budget wise, i was either after the rotel 01 amp like lameway or the NAD. out of the 2, NAD personally, sounded better!

so, erm Q, are the B & W S2's warm sounding or they more towards the cleaner/crisp sound?? ne ideas.

cheers all!!

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Don't get me wrong, if you like the NAD's then keep 'em! It was just that when you said, "i also like the sound of MS and they sound very 'crisp' and clean", I thought that you preferred that type of sound. Last time I heard some MS speakers, they were brighter than normal, but not in a bad way (one mag called the sound "shiny" if that makes any sense?). That's why I reckoned the NAD's may do with upgrading as they are normally warmer in sound.
    Like I said, if you want some better speakers, look at the MA Silver range as these are a bit of class. Ruark Epilogues are also one to look out for as are Acoustic Energy Aesprit, if you can find them.

Russell

6. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    soz, wasnt having a go at ya mate!!!

:cool:

cheers