1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b&w 600s3+vx10?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by satch, Jun 6, 2003.

1. satch

satch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there guys,
    im finally looking at buying some new speakers too finish off my system.

and was looking at the b&w 600s3's i think they are about £100 each,and are not too big and look great.

would these be suitable for fronts and rears as our room is not that big approx 13x15?

also the b&w 60 center speaker about £200,too go with them.

and finally, the vx10 sub roughly £200,

any advice please guys i have about £800 too spend on my speakers.

i will be using a denon2801 amp.

thanx dudes!:smoke:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you heard them? And have you compared to a couple of other brands?

Don't buy them unheard. I've done that mistake with B&W 6xx speakers before -IMO sound very harsh and boomy. And yes I own a pair, now used for rears.

Same for the subwoofer, just because many have bought it (with no other subwoofer to compare) does not make it a great subwoofer.

3. satch

satch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, thanx nathan i will have too pop down to my local john lewis for a demo as i think they are the only suppliers in my area,

do you think they would be ok with the denon amp i think it is 90w per channel?

also could you recomend anywhere online for the b&w's or vx10?

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Nowhere online will sell you B&W speakers (unless they are old models) ... B&W discourage dealers selling online. As for where to buy ... well where are you? Have you look at http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.dealer for a local dealer? Best place to get the VX10 is through Uncle Eric - see the "Power Buys" forum here.

The DM600s3 will be fine with your Denon.

An alternative to the LCR60 centre would be a 5th DM600. Alternatives (if you're looking for them) to the 600s would be things like KEF Q1 and Mission M50 or V60 around similar total cost.

Vikki

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I really like the little 600 - the gem of the range in my opinion. I agree with Nathan that the 60x's are generally a little bit flabtastic in the bass department, but the 600 doesn't actually have any useable bass extension so that takes care of that. :D

You have to be a little careful because they are rear ported and the LF range fills right out if you move them too close to a wall. They can also sound very harsh when brand new - the midrange doesn't start kicking until the main driver is run in and the tweeters are of the metal-dome variety which are notorious for being a little hard on the ears, fresh out of the box. Of course there's no bass to "warm things up" either.

I wouldn't use them alone, but paired with a decent sub they are great and are a superior alternative to any sub/sat combo of similar price in a small room, IMO. I had the 601s3 fronts, 600 rears and an LCR600 centre for a while, but when I moved to uni it was easy to settle for just two 600s + a sub. They do just as good a job as the 601 when used like this and are of course far more compact.

You can pick up 600s for ~£170-180/pair at SuperFi if you flash your titties. VX-10 can be had in the powerbuy section of this forum for £199.

Other alternatives to consider for a demo - Kef Q1, Kef Eggs, Mission m50, Monitor Audio Silver S1 maybe... A s/h REL Q100E or the current BK Electronics "Bargain Corner" sub would be worth a look as well.

Edit - ah, Vikki beat me too it. :p

MuFu.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah should be fine, however different brands of speakers sound different (obviously) You might prefer the sound of A of B. Same for subwoofer, in that large room a £200 subwoofer will struggle.

Don't forget you'll need to budget in stands- get the heaviest stands you can- cheap stands wobble all over the place. Find stands that can be filled (fill them half-way up with bird grit, about 30p per pint)

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I managed to buy my speakers online but I'm not able to give you the retailer within this thread as they're competitors to the forums sponsors.
    The price I paid was the same as any dealer would quote you anyhow. (£300 for the DM602 S3 and £200 for the LRC60).
    I never found them to be harsh (more "bright") or boomy even though my room is very small 15 Ft x 12Ft. The performance of these speakers is nothing short of excellent if a little time is given to correct positioning and set up with decent stand mounting being essential. The kit driving them also plays a part in the sound they reproduce so if the amp yuor using isn't up to the job you might not fully realise the B&W's potential.
    Overall I was V. happy with the series 3 and would recomend them to anyone. I'm talking about them in the past sense 'cause as you can see from my sig I have replaced them recently after finding a good home for them.

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must admit that I prefer the Q1s to the 600/601 s3, but only just. They are blander and I am a very boring pers....SORRY, I mean they are more neutral and I am a purist bastardo who appreciates an authentic reproduction of even the worst recordings. :D

BTW, I do think that the 600 series take a bit of a bashing for being a fairly "obvious" and widely recommended choice for "mainstream" AV. They are excellent for the price, IMO.

MuFu.

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Satch - Monitor Audio Bronze excellent VFM (I own Kef Qs by the way but they're probably a bit over your budget)

10. satch

satch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx everyone,

ive just found a package consisting of 603.5 floorstanders 2 600's and 1 60 center speaker for about £800.

but not enough left for a sub!

:rolleyes:

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    MuFu makes some very good points there...the 600 series B&Ws like all of their speakers,do require running in,as well as careful amp choices.
    In common with the rest of B&W's speakers,despite being a nominal 8ohm load,they are fairly reactive and present quite a difficult load to the amplifier,which can result in harshness and loss of bass control,prompting criticisms in both those areas.
    With a good amp,which doesnt have a problem with treble harshness of it's own,you should have no problem.
    Stuffing the reflex port with a foam plug can remove bass "flab" in many instances,as can careful positioning.

12. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    satch ... you have said a package with 603.5 - there is no such speaker in B&W range ... but if you mean 602.5 then I'd give them a miss and buy 601 and good stands instead - or even better, the 602 plus stands but they are very large for stand mount speakers so may not suit you.

As always ... test before you buy - you may prefer the sound of other manufacturers speakers - though I like the 602.

Vikki

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats list price anyway, I really hope there is no rule against posting that you bought from a none forum sponsor and that your post (of buying from a competitor to a sponsor) would in anyway break the rules!!!!!!!
    Superfi sell them but in-store only, surely you have a superfi or seven oaks nearby.

B&W are very protective of their environment (sales) one reason i like them, I too am considering 602s3 and a VX10 or LCR60 depending on where i decide to spend my cash! (LCR60 is too big for under TV and i dont fancy Blutacking it to the top!)

I took my amp to a mates who has a pair of nicely run in 602s3's on good stands sounded great mate!!!!

Off too check the rules now!Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:confused:

14. satch

satch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...yes i meant the 602.5's.

sorry.

still cant decide on the 602.5's as fronts but no sub.

or

600's front and a vx10 sub hmmmmmmmmm..........

im going into my local sevenoaks and jl too have a listen.

ill probably get an extra set of 600's for my dj'ing setup, too replace my old mission 760i's.:clap:

also a quick question about speakers and plasmas, can you put a non-shielded speaker near a plasma tv?

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When i bought my LCR60 i got it £160 from superfi, it was only just out then. Got the 601's for about £30 less to (the week they came out). They always give you discount (the store though)

16. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    satch my room size is fairly simular to yours 4mx3.5m i have 3802 cdm1nts, lcr60,600s3, mission m70 as center rears, vx10 sub.

the stands that i use with 600s3 are rather lightwieght and were "thrown in " as part of original speaker purchase, when i first had 600s3 i tried these as fronts out of interest 2 channel sterio with 3802, admitadle speakers were new but i found them very harsh/tinny.

i tried them with a 30year old sansui 40 watt reciever and they sounded much better. sometime after i purchased the small missions m70 to use as center rears, and tried these as fronts (brand new+3802) the missions although small speakers sound to me as if they are bigger than 600s3 .

so it might be worth demoing some of the mission packages which i think from memory come in about £450 including sub,

my mates got 602s3 in a small room and to be honest they look very overpowering, 601s3 might be a better bet for fronts,600s3 rears if going the b&W route.

i have tried 600s3 as fronts +vx10 2 channel but had a job integrating the two to merge nicely, but i am restricted to where i can place the sub.

hope this helps

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My room is 4mx5m and i have the 601's3, and they sit right in our room, i had mission 773's before. They look good and Nexus 6 stands;)