B&W 600s3 - can I use one as a centre speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KrisBennett, Mar 22, 2004.

1. KrisBennett

KrisBennett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am seriously thinking about buying four B&W 600s3 for my new home cinema room. The problem is that I want to wall mount everything but the LCR60 centre speaker is is huge (in comparison to the 600) and not wall mountable.

any ideas? I don't particularly want to put it on a shelf.......

I could buy another pair of 600s3s and use one as the centre speaker?? I could then use the sixth speaker as a rear centre.......

any replies would be appreciated........

thanks

Kris

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah of course you can. It will also provide a better tonal match than the dedicated centre speaker.

3. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how will it provide a better tonal match? the B&W centre speaker to a degree uses the same technology!

i don't it would cause a problem, but i don't know how you could say it would be better?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Identical tweeter/woofers and cabinet size. Even with the same drivers, cabinet size/shape will affect the sound of different speakers. Centre speakers are always slightly different sounding to their matching front stereo brothers, some more so than others.

5. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tweeter would be the same in the whole range.

The speaker would sound different to the front pair due to the signal they're getting? not just cos they're a different size.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Cabinet size and shape affect the sound. I think I know what you are asking about "different because of the signal they are getting" - of course each channel/speaker in 5.1 plays a different signal, so the centre would sound different. Is that waht you are asking?

If you want to prove the cabinet/shape thing to yourself, demo a pair of say, Mission M72's against Mission M73's - identical drivers, but they don't sound the same because the M73 is in a bigger enclosure.

If you really want to hear the difference, get two B&W centre speakers and run them in stereo at the front against B&W 601s3's in stereo - the difference is marked. :)

Better yet, move your centre into the position of your right speaker, disconnect the right one and play a stereo CD.........