1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 600 series speakers OK for my room (14ft by 6ft)?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ConfusedTA, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ConfusedTA

ConfusedTA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I'm creating a home cinema, which currently is in the extension where the old driveway was, which is 14ft by 6ft.

I've got myself a Sanyo Z3, and I'm considering getting a Yamaha DSP-AX757SE as the amp.

I have had a demo with the above amp and a pair of B&W 602.5 S3 at the front, 600 S3 at the rear, and an LCR60, in a room about 14x10ft, and it sounded very good to me (this is my first time buying decent equipment, it's always been the "1000W music powah!" microsystems before this). At the moment it'll be just a 5.0 system, possibly adding a further 2 rear centres (shift the 600's to the back and stick 601/602 as surround?) and a sub.

However, I'm not going to have this stuff in this room forever, we may well be moving soon, in which case I might be able to get a bigger room for the home cinema, so I don't want anything that's not going to bode well in a bigger room, but at the same time, I don't know when I might be moving, so want it to sound OK in it's current room.

Cheers!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I had the B&W DM603 fronts, 602.5 surrounds and an LCR60 for centre and surround rear in a room slightly bigger than yours (8' x 16') and it sounded excellent - driven by a Denon 3802.
    If you can afford it I would say it would be worth getting the 603's for the extra bass as you wont have a sub. But be aware they need to be away from the walls else the bass will really boom as they are rear ported.

Mark.

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very careful with buying floorstanders for a small room. In my opinion your room is too small. As a result the bass will be too dominant and everything will sound bad. My recommendation is to start with 2 speakers (601 or 602) as fronts and try them out in your room (buy the rest several weeks later). If you feel that you could use more bass go for the 602.5. I suggest you to stay away from the 603 because I'm afraid the bass will be too much for you to handle in such a small room.