1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 600 series 3

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by megson, May 19, 2003.

1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have been looking to buy a good sub sat system but have also had a demo of the B&W 603's and was impressed.

What worries me though is that I buy a 5.1 package and find that in a couple of months time B&W bring out a new and improved version. Series 4 perhaps?

Has anyone heard anything on the AV grapevine regarding proposed B&W speakers packages.

I appreciate technology moves on but I am not sure how long the series 3 speakers have been around.

Thanks in anticipation

Megson

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you demoed any other speakers?

Don't buy the first speakers you hear.

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    They WILL release a series 4 at some point its pretty inevitable. I dont know when but the series 3 have been out for under 2 years (i think) so I cant imagine they will be out in the near future.
    But in saying that I had my fingers burnt because I bought a pair of series 2's and series 3's came out soon after. It might be worth asking B&W directly but I dont know how much help they will be.

4. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks

I have demoed Dynaudio 42's as a package and M&K K series. Both good packages but require good subs and the dealers seem to be pushing M&K subs priced above a grand.

I had the 603's demoed with the B&W 675 and begun questioning the wisdom of going the extra mile (£££) for the M&K subs.

The M&K subs would take me to the limit of both my budget and my wifes good nature and I need to upgrade my amp as well because my Yamaha 620 would probably not do justice to those type of speakers.

Megson

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You might want to look at Velodyne, and Rel Subs as speaker manufacturer subs can be over priced and not the best for AV. a CHT-10/15 will cost less than the B&W and probably perform better. Try demoing a REL sub of the same price as the B&W with the speakers and see what you think!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Anything with the M&K label on it is expensive. In my opinion the speakers are worth the expense but I'm not so sure about the subwoofers. There are some highly capable subwoofers available at much cheaper prices than M&K of which the B&W 675 is one.

7. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I wouldnt worry too much about them bringing newer models out in the future, things dont usually advance much, if at all. I've heard people say they preferred the S2 to the S3, so newer doesnt always mean better.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My son still has the Rogers LS3/5A speakers that I bought in the mid seventies and they are still better than many of today's models.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Showing your age Ian!

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Megson
    I had the relq150 and swapped it after doing some homework.The asw675 is way better than the q150 but it does take time to run in and needs setting up carefully.Apocalypse on the forum had the asw675 before he got his godzilla(hgs) and he thinks its still a good sub for music and movies . The velo cht15 would be the one to get if you can accomadate its size. but for a compact sub the B&W takes some beating imo.

11. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Also if your buying a sub why do you need the big bass ouput from the 603's? If you ran the 603's without a sub for music the bass could get overwhelming and with a sub you wouldnt be using much of the extra driver that you paid £200 more than the 602.5's for. A dealer highlighted that to me and now im looking at buying some Dynaudio 52's and a Dynaudio centre with a velodyne sub for the lower bits.

12. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I would buy the 602 plus stands rather than the 602.5 ... the 602.5 are basically 601 and arn't the best speakers than B&W have ever made ...

Vikki

13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Yeah good point, I was sticking with the floorstanders idea. Thats an extra £100 saved :)

14. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi

Thanks for the help. If I plumped for the standmounted 602's and the ASW675 sub would the bigger centre speaker offer any advantage sonically over the LCR60 or is it just down to room size.

Thanks

Megson

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Which will be spent on stands

16. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Give both centres a listen and see which you prefer. But that bigger centre is almost twice as much. I know B&W say that you should stick with the smaller one but if you prefer the bigger one then go for it. I have a similar dilema with my Dynaudios, they do two audience centres, a huge one and a (relatively) tiny one. The audience 52's and the huge centre are a really good tonal match even thought its huge and £500. They wouldnt seem to match but they do.

17. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I prefer the larger LCR600. It has much more weight and blends much better with the 602's upwards.

18. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks ReTro.

Cheapskate.....if this is just your nickname and not a description then I would try to demo the Dynaudio 122 floor standers that are matched to that huge Dynaudio centre you were on about. They are supposed to be excellent but are about a £1,000 per pair I think.

19. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Yeah ... but you'll end up with better speakers still Ian.

20. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Its a fair description of me aswell! :rotfl: I dont have a very large room to fill at the moment so the bass output should be fine from the audience 52's and I will have a sub aswell. Also being a student standmounts are much easier to deal with because they will be moved up and down the country a couple of times a year. I will give them a listen though.

21. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We've got 602 S2's as front channel's on our 5.1, with a REL Q100E sub - sounds amazing :) Atacma stands all the way :D

Oh, and I like the 602.5 S3's! Got a pair in my study, hooked upto a Sony TA-FA5ES and Marantz CD6000OSE, sounds flippen amazing IMO :)

22. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Kuni ... okay so you like the 602.5 ... but how do they compair to the 602 considering they are basically the same price once you take stands into account?

23. Banni

Banni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    an additional suggestion:

I started my set with 602 front, lcr60 centre and 601 surround. After a week of listening I upgraded my centre to the lcr600. This one blends much better with the 602 imho.

My dealer made no problem with this upgrade, so i could test it at home.

Remember: the lcr60 uses the 600 size woofer, the lcr600 uses the 601 woofer.

If your focus is movies: the centre gets the most load, so I think is the most important speaker in the system.

24. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry for th e late reply (and for diggin up this thread!)

The 602 has a larger driver, although after hearing both, I went for the 602.5 (for my study) - its got the low end range of the 603 (due to the larger cavity floor standings enjoy), while still having the high end punch of the 601 (same driver). Apart from that, I've never owned floor standing speakers, and didn't want two sets of 602's in the house, so that swayed me a bit as well! :)

The 602's main advantage imo is a great mid range due to the larger driver.

Banni, you have an identical surround set up to mine - 602 front, LCR600 and 601 surround - we also swopped the 60 for the 600, as the center channel has a lot of work to do, and it balances the sound out much better (all running through a Denon 2801 accompanied by a Rel Q100E)

25. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently auditioned the 603's with the addition of an expensive (£1300) REL sub. The amp was a mid-ranged Marantz (don't know the model #).

I watched the THX trailer/demo for Star Wars Episode One, the one with the pod race.

There can only be two words to describe my experience:- completely underwhelmed. I though the mid range had no depth and the bass was tired and loose. I am no expert and have not auditioned much else. All I can do is report on my perceptions.

26. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hmm. sounds like you suffered from the 'badly setup' Demo syndrome that haunts a lot of these shops...

I demo'd the complete B+W/KEF/MISSION/QUAD speakers, the 602/602.5/603/Q55/M53/55 etc, with a REL Quake.. and considering the diminuative dimensions of the Demo room was also massively underwhelmed...

As soon as the assistant left, I just started looking at the amp settings (Denon 3802) and after putting everything back to flat, and set the levels using the test tone.. then tweaked the bass/treble to my liking, and sorted the sub level out.... then we where talking... (oh, and set the speakers to large fronts... it was set to small, this negating the larger floor standers bass capacity)

I ended up with the 603's since for music, the bass was incredibly tight and rythmic, and the midrange, well for my ears it had the most control... easily ahead of the KEF the quad's sounded more rounded, but this ruins stereo seperation for me, and the more rounded sound was attributed to what I felt was their lack of tight bass.

I was going to go for the 602's, but the difference in bass extension was very noticeable... and when setup, the midrange seemed to be more coherent on the 603's... but I guess it depends on your own ears, and your choice of music...