1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 2500 vs Rel Strata III and B&W S2 or S3?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mlinhares, Nov 4, 2001.

1. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My system is:

Tag AV32
    Rotel RB 985MKII
    Front: B&W 604 S2
    Center: LCR6 S2

My questions are:
    1) What subwoofer B&W 2500 or Rel Strata III?
    2) Surround speakers. Should I stick with the B&W's series 2 (601 S2 or 602 S2 and have the same "voice") or should I buy the new series 3 (601 S3 or 602 S3)?
    Thanks.

Miguel Linhares

2. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The series 3 speakers are way way more detailed and open. So unless your going to upgrade the front and centre speakers then stick with the 601 series 2 speakers as then the voice will match.

I have some 2 month old 601 S2 if you want them. The reason i want to sell them is that my other speakers are series 3 and i feel they dont match. i used to have series 2 and they matched perfectly though. the 602's you mention aren't really nessasary for rear speakers and can be a bit cumbersome.

As for the subwoofer, i would go for the REL. Why not a REL Q200 instead of a strata? you can get it for £450 at www.laservision.co.uk i have it and it's superb.

The strata is very musical but also compliments home theatre too. The RELQ200 is amazing with movies and still very good and punchy with music.

If you are interested in my 601's then let me know. I'll sell them for around £80-£100

Not bad for 3 month old, barely used speakers.

3. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest you audition the two REL subwoofers i mentioned first before you decide on the B&W sub. It's a very good sub but dosn't match REL in my oppinion. And i also think you may be suprised at how musical the REL Q200 is.

David Vowles

Mutzgoatz@hotmail.com