1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&Q Cat5, is it as good as Maplin stuff?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Petey, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  2. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    From a data perspective, Cat5 references to the standards that the cable must meet therefore cat5 is cat5. The cable has to conform to a set of requirements.

It is possible that a more expensive Cat5 will use different material which will make it more appropriate for speaker cable!?!?!?

3. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ^ Exactly.

16p per metre is still pretty expensive in the grand scheme of things so I don't think you have to worry about it being "cheaper"

4. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only real difference there could be is if one version of CAT5 was 'screened'.

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    it's worth noting though that cat5 and cat5e are certified to very different rates, I'm not sure if this would have any bearing on speaker cable performance though, as both should still use 24awg copper..

the best for speaker cable would be the FTP variant, the one with the foil screen taffyboyo pointed out... it costs double what UTP does unfortunately.

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Strangely enough no. The foil shield has a very detrimental effect on the cable. Bass is fine, mid range is a little shaky and the treble is scratchy as hell. Stick with the unshielded variety. You can get the Teflon coated cat5 from the likes of VHAUDIO. I did find the stranded variety of UTP cat5e to work better in my system than the solid core variety.

7. rmask

rmask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    CAT5 is CAT5
    theres strict cable specification so dont worry that much

btw teflon is used as protection from fire (sort of :) ) and has no effect on sound

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Again not strictly true LSZH variety is used for permanent installations behind walls etc and connecting back to a patch cabinet. Usually solid core. The more flexible teflon coated is better for patch leads. The Teflon coating won't make any difference to the sound just make it more managable. Stranded cable is also more flexible. The solid core variety is a lot easier to snap when making up speaker cable. This obviously is very annoying when you've just got all the cables stripped back to the correct length. Worth also playing around with some of the different recipes available.

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ive tried all types of CAT5 ie PVC, LSZH (Maplins), Teflon Plenum (Imported from the US – expensively I may add), multistrand & solid core. The Teflon was/is supposedly superior to the Maplin stuff by quite a margin – I found it sounded identical, Ive made smaller runs of PVC – multistrand for friends, it too sounds excellent – never even thought that it was different to the Maplins stuff.

I only ever suggest using solid core for one reason, when taking off the individual insulation of the conductors I always find I nick or take off strands by accident, I don’t do this with the solid core stuff, never had it break like KS mentions either.

In short use what is readily available and cheaply, that’s the essence of CAT5, decent CSA of copper for pennies. Not whether one covering is superior to the next.

HTHs Remember brothers

Power to DIY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

10. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

is cat5 or cat5e better then manufacturers cables i.e qed, ixos, profigold etc, have speakers such as b&w dm604's, will it really make a difference

cheers

11. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Well I dropped QED SA for CAT5 on my hifi equipment. :thumbsup:

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    me too strangely (or not?) I canned my (£5/m) QED Silver Anniversary in favour of Cat5 (<10p/m - x3) :rotfl:

I switched to Cat5 (TNT style triple barided runs) when I could eventually be bothered (I spend quite enough time terminating cat5 without doing it for fun aswell) and it certainly sounds better to my ears at least. :thumbsup: