B&O Cabling

P

plasmadreamer

Hi,

am new to the forums and need some advice please!

Have just moved to a new flat which the developer has had "pre-wired for bang and olufsen". Basically there is wiring connecting the lounge to the two bedrooms. When my flat was the show flat it had lots of b&o kit in it running throughout the flat and was operaational from any of the rooms.

My question is this - if i use other branded equipment (am planning to use bose speakers in the bedroom and lounge) can i hook them up to a non-B&O stereo? in other words does "pre-wired for bang and olufsen" mean that it can only be used for B&O?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ben

p.s. i hope i have put this in the right forum - apologies if i havent!

I'm not sure whether B&O equipment is wired with standard connections or not but would urge you to have a listen to the Bose speakers and a couple of other similarly priced competitors as the general feeling is that Bose equipment is a triumph of style over substance and overpriced to boot as someone has to pay for those hugely expensive ads in the Sunday supplements.

B&O cabling is different to other manufacturers - so you either put in B&O kit, or run new cabling.

nigels0 said:
B&O cabling is different to other manufacturers - so you either put in B&O kit, or run new cabling.

what he said ^^ b&o use 'powerlink' which has 4 cores plus an earth, connects using a 7 pin din type plug.

Ian J said:
as the general feeling is that Bose equipment is a triumph of style over substance and overpriced to boot as someone has to pay for those hugely expensive ads in the Sunday supplements.

and in the space shuttle - so they must be good !! Not!! IMO:rotfl:

plasmadreamer

My experience of 'pre wired' houses is no matter if its for B&O, LINN or System NO Brand your best off ignoring what the 'developer' and his or her 'contractor' has supplied as it usually not properly documented, impossible to work out what's been done and usually 'non standard'.

Historically B&O have always had a B&O Only policy and made it tricky to integrate B&O with other brands and this included cabling infrastructures.

I'd sit down with a blank sheet of paper and design what you want to achieve and take it from there.

Best regards

Joe

Crisp_Rapper said:
what he said ^^ b&o use 'powerlink' which has 4 cores plus an earth, connects using a 7 pin din type plug.

The cabling is probably ML around the house which is a balanced, line-level signal, plus some data. Powerlink is the speaker cabling and is probably used, but not between rooms. I would recommend B&O kit though, but it is expensive.

If it is wired for B & O then you can't use it for anything else, but have a look on the B&O site for details on their multi-room systems, and just make sure that the wires in the flat match up with the wires on the site....

hopefully it has been ML + Coax wired and done properly............ you can use other kit but it is a pain. What do you want to do with cabling? and where abouts are you? The B&O site wont help its not technical in any way beolink is a single source system so all rooms on the "link" have to play the same music (exception is if you a HIFi/TV slaved onto the link system) I am getting a bit rusty on it know but can probably guide you through what you can and cant do and pro's/con's

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom