1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[B]New Plasma Help to Decide Please[/B]

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ladypickers, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are about to buy a new setup please advise if possible if what we are going for is good or if there's anything we haven't accounted for.
    Pioneer PDP 435XDE
    DVR-920H-S Hdd DVD 250gb this is DVD-R not + & -
    or
    DVD-720H-S HDD 160gb this is DVD-R not + & -
    or
    RDX-HX1000 HDD DVD 250gb this is DVD + & - which to me seems better & does anyone one who which would be better

We also dont know whether we need an amp or receiver or does the tuner that comes with it do everything that the amp or receiver does. Alternatively can you buy the plasma without the tuner that comes with it and replace it with the amp or receiver. :rolleyes:

Also we were thinking of buying the Bose Acoustimass 15 Home Cinema Speaker System (it says you need receivers from 10 - 200watt per channel) - :confused:. I've heard that they are really good, are they alright on there own or do you really need to buy Bose's complete system. What I though was to just buy the speakers and use other equipment or is that a waste of money.

Also should I get the speakers that you can buy with the plasma

All advice gratefully received, going to Tottenham Court Road tomorrow to look :thumbsup:
    Is there anything else I've forgotton. Also does anyone know if all this equipment will work in Australia as we may be emigrating next year & will all this work with my Sky box.

Thank you thank you

Sarah

Make-up Artist

Sorry not so hot with TV's, Computers and building more my sort of thing :laugh: :laugh:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sarah BOSE sound crap! the are not worth the money the pioneer is a good choice for a simple future proof(to an extent) system read this thread for ideas of what else you can do http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292 and see this one for details of other plasmas available: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183227
    have a read see what you think and demo everything if you are not happy with any element walk away and come back to the forum...(Avoid watching cartooon DVD's) take some of your own FAV films and know the chapter you want to see take some bright, some dark etc i use Fifth element CH03,26, Star trek nemisis CH4, 19 and Blade 2 CH3 and try an see some TV Sky/Freeview etc

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Sarah

Welcome to the AV Forums - have you ordered your anorak :)

PlasmaTV - the Pioneer PDP-435XDE includes an external Media Box (Freeview, Terrestrial + Smart card reader) with optional STEREO loudspeakers (you can also add a sub woofer for a bit more bass reproduction).

DVD Recorders (DVR) - which format will be best for you may be more dependent on how often you want to make discs for other people and how much 'editing' you want to do in the DVR.

If like many of our customers the DVR is to be your up to date VCR with DVD playback as an added bonus then you have to consider how much VCR vs. DVD player you require.

If top quality DVD playback of bought movies is important for you I'd personally set my sights/budget slightly lower on the DVR to enable the budget to cover a stand alone DVD player.

I'd much rather have a Pioneer DV-868AVi + DVR-520H over the DVR-920H; Video playback on the expensive DVR is not as good as on the top of the line DVD player.

AV Receiver - if you go with a conventional surround sound set up of five (or more) satellites + and Active Subwoofer you will require a multi channel AV Receiver; that includes the BOSE 'non powered' speaker systems.

Some folk love BOSE some folk hate them - personally I don't find the BOSE 'sound' one I can sit back and relax or enjoy. Its great in a shop on a demo but too 'up front' for my ears.

Having the Optional Stereo speakers on the PlasmaTV means you don't always have to view the news and the like in full surround sound - which is handy if you simply want to view a Freeview channel or SKY.

TCR - now that is a scary place; probably best to not make any hasty decisions on the day.

Think about room size, loudspeaker placement, cabling and installation when your viewing/auditioning loudspeaker packages - and ask to hear what they are like at lower not just higher volume levels.

Sky is easy enough to integrate into the type of system your planning - as for shipping it to Australia you'll need to talk to individual manufactures about 'in country' warranty and service options once you know what kit your ordering.

If you find a friendly Pioneer dealer you may even be able to organise a replacement Media Box for the PlasmaTV when you get out to Australia :)

Best regards

Joe

4. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe for your comments went TCR this morning to see my mate who normally sorts me out with everything. This is what he advised

Pioneer PDP 435XDE (which we really liked over the Panny)

He said that the Pioneer DVR-920H was good but too overpriced just to get HDMI feature and suggested getting Pioneer DVR-720H-S & spend the money on better component cabling. He said to go for Pioneer VSX-D814-S receiver or if still available the Pioneer VSXD-912 which although older is better spec than the 814.

I am getting mixed reports regarding loss of quality using a DVD recorder for playback. The general concensus is to have a stand alone DVD player as well. I still have my old Pioneer DV530 would that be good enough or do I really need another one like the DV-470-S.

Than as far as speakers are concerned because I want small speakers he suggested going for the Pioneer S-VLF5 or S-VLF3. But having spoeken to someone else they suggested the Infinity Oreus. I didnt get a chance to listen to them but they said they didnt rate the Bose and that these were much better if I was looking for small speakers. As the subwoofer has has a 100 watt amp would I still need the receiver.

I'll still be running Sky as well.

Any more advice greatly appreciated.

5. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HD posted reply below but managed to submit with outyour name by mistake. Did u like blade 2, I worked on that film (tattoos for Wesley's double), horrendous job walked of it after six weeks

6. fusion7

fusion7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, just got a similar set up

went for 435-XDE, 720-H DVD recorder, and 868avi DVD player.
    sound is through bose lifestyle 25...and it sounds very good, better than several ive seen hooked up through separate amps. but as people have said, you might prefer a different kind of sound (more bass for example) and if thats the case you want to look at other solutions...but extreme audiophiles aside (Which i presume ure not), the bose will do the job perfectly and it will impress you.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i am probably in the unique position of having heard all the current BOSE range and Infinity Orues as well as others. For my money Catons CD2.22 or 5x CD50 and SUB are better sound and looks....

AND yes I am a big fan of Blade and all Vampire/Goth Films.........

8. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 912,I have found it an exellent amp for my needs,very comprehensive feature wise,and sounds fine also,been very reliable the year I have owned it.I also use the Pioneer 470, I chose this model over the 575,as I wasn't intrested in SACD/DVD-A,put the two together and the results are exellent.I will be using mine with a Panny PW6,when my room is finished.I'll be using B&W 800 series speakers,so can't advise on that front,did have some kef eggs,look nice,but didn't do it for me sonically,which is for me is as important as the picture,but the cantons seem a good cheap buy,but I prefer a bigger speakers.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello ladypickers

Pioneer have provided a fair few connections for your DVD player on the PlasmaTV's R05 Media Receiver - having spent an age with the XDE and its predecessors I can safely say if DVD playback is important to you and your keen to stick with Pioneer then the DV-668AV or DV-868AVi are the units to consider; both have HDMI video outputs and the R05 Media Box looks its best with a Digital signal.

I guess DVD Recorders have different use's for different folk - I tend to only use mine to make 'library' copies of material I initially record to the Hard Drive of our SKY+ box. As long as the copies relatively artefact free then the majority of functions/features on even the lowliest DVD Recorder are rarely used in our house; though the DV Input has been handy at times for copying from the Camcorder.

I'd definitely separate DVD Playback of Pre Recorded Movies and DVD Recording across two chassis.

Loudspeaker choice has so many 'check' points to be ticked off it gets tricky generalising - though I would give the Pioneer loudspeakers a miss if your trying for a balanced sound in your room.

Systems we typically put together that include a PDP-435XDE and DV-868AVi (or DV-668AV) will more likely include the VSX-2014i AV Receiver and loudspeakers from Anthony Gallo, Atlantic Technology, KEF and Artcoustic (amongst others).

Your room will have a big impact on the sound of the system and you really want to ensure the sonic and visual performance of the system are in step with each other - small speakers are not hard to find; what is hard to find are small speakers that deliver a 'big' sound at low and high volume levels and don't start to irritate after twenty minutes.

A VSX-2014i + Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro 5:1 system will cost around £1.6k (inc active sub) and will fill most rooms with high quality sound and be a good match to the quality and size of image the 43" PlasmaTV generates.

See http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/micro.html

Best regards

Joe

PS Apologies in advance for spending so much of your hard earned cash!!!

10. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Joe, do you sell the artcoustic or just install them?

Artcoustic haven't responded to my e-mail enquiring after stockists and I am trying to find somewhere in NW England or Edinburgh.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Rahmorak

I've replied to your PM.

Joe

12. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers Joe, I wasn't sure if my somewhat verbose PM might have had you nodding off. :)