'B' Movie top 100! Yeah!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Battle Beyond the Stars

Lifeforce
Lol I remember BBTS, was great back then but god knows what it’s like now :)

Im not sure The Last Starfighter would count as a B movie but how about Krull?
I also was a huge fan of the horror House and I think House 2 wasn’t too bad either.

Rawschach

It still stands up well - the space effects are all just recycled bits of spaceships flying about from other films and the practical effects aren't too bad. The green Alien thing is really good. The skull cap Nesta not so good. Overall the acting and charm of the movie still sell it.

Krull is a good shout - love that film.

SDMDAM

Probably all mentioned but I like:

Them.
Tremors.
It came from Outer Space.
Forbidden Planet.
The Thing.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet! A real video shop favourite back in the day. Never saw oddball sequel Bud The Chud though...

1596023639219.png

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member

Idle Bull

Films that stuck out from my youth(for various reasons):-

Night of the Comet (already mentioned)
The Thing
Phantasm
Assault on Precinct 13 (original)

Probably a hundred more locked away in the deep recesses of my brain :)

VisionMan

Assault on Precinct 13 (original)
With you all the way, man. I watched it as a teenager and it blew me away, as did the soundtrack.

Which has made me think of another one...

John Carpenters Prince of Darkness. Truly scary. Don't watch it alone.....

VisionMan

Grosse Point Blank

A comedy starring John Cusack and Dan Ackroyd as professional hitmen, with a secretary (Minnie Driver) to die for . Shes hilarious! Highly recommended and a good giggle, because it never takes itself seriously. Yeah, on the scale of entertainment its a 10.

mikeysthoughts

Coming into this a touch late but has anyone mentioned Spielberg's Duel. An understated classic.

Belzok

Grosse Point Blank

A comedy starring John Cusack and Dan Ackroyd as professional hitmen, with a secretary (Minnie Driver) to die for . Shes hilarious! Highly recommended and a good giggle, because it never takes itself seriously. Yeah, on the scale of entertainment its a 10.
Isn't the secretary Joan Cusack, John's sister?

Minnie Driver is the love interest.

Great film.

VisionMan

Isn't the secretary Joan Cusack, John's sister?

Minnie Driver is the love interest.

Great film.
You are correct and my apologies. So whos the hilarious crazy bitch secretary? Joan Cusack? Really?

Last edited:

wolfie138

if anyone like Bill Paxton, try The Vagrant, absolutely storming comedy. if you want to go off into the er, odd, territory w/ him, try The Dark Backward.

mr starface

I always had a soft spot for:

No Retreat No Surrender
Fletch Lives
The Wanderers
Robo Jox
Demons 2
Rabid Grannies:eek:

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I always had a soft spot for:

No Retreat No Surrender
Fletch Lives
The Wanderers
Robo Jox
Demons 2
Rabid Grannies:eek:
I was waiting for somebody to mention No Retreat, No Surrender. I have very fond memories of watching this and Police Academy with a mate on a near constant loop one summer. Good times!

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I watched a good one with my boys yesterday, and it kind of fits into this category:

Over The Top (1987)

Stallone’s second film on his Cannon/Warner deal after the legendary Cobra. Essentially Rocky (or Karate Kid) with arm-wrestling with a (at this point) perfectly sculpted Sly doing his underdog thing again - its more of a curio for us non Americans who aren’t tapped into that particular (redneck - if the movie is anything to go by) sports subculture. Directed by Meneham Golan (but probably hijacked by Sly), It’s definitely cringeworthy as hell - reaching soap opera levels of melodrama - but I couldn’t help but see it through to the end (again, growing up with it helps on the nostalgia factor). Still, having kids of my own now adds greater depth, and there are moments during the father and son bonding stuff that had me close to tears I’m not afraid to admit.

Stallone’s Lincoln Hawk - I swear he’s corned the market in great movie character names; Marion Cobretti, Ray Tango, John Spartan, John J. Rambo, Rocky Balboa to name some - mumbles his way through the entire movie, and David Mendenhall’s smartass Hawk Jnr. borders on insufferably irritating for the most part. Despite this, there are genuine moments of warmth amidst the melodrama as they get to know each other on the road - scored to a super cheesy, Giorgio Moroder, soft rock soundtrack. The main cast are rounded off nicely on the villainous front by a volcanic Robert Loggia - as Hawk Jnr’s perma-furious grandfather - and Rick Zumwalt as the fearsome, man mountain (and aptly named) Bob “Bull” Hurley. The finale tournament is great fun as the competitors look like pumped up, steroidal rejects from WWE, with a super dramatic last bout as Hawk overcomes the odds to defeat Bull Drago..I mean Hurley. Absolutely tosh or 80s classic? It’s kind of both.

You may (or may not) want to decide for yourself as a quick search on Youtube should find a pretty decent download of the full movie (which is what I watched yesterday).

3/5

richp007

Distinguished Member
I think we've established now that "B" always was in fact "AAA".

It's been the wrong way round for years.

VisionMan

I think we've established now that "B" always was in fact "AAA".

It's been the wrong way round for years.
Totally agree.
I think the term 'B Movie' comes more from the fact they don't have big budgets. But all the films and movies mentioned on here are testament to the fact you don't need a big budget to make a great film. Its all about the characters and telling a great story, not budget.