1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[B]IPod SQ & SPL[/B]

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GJC, Mar 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    A friend brought the IPod 30gb colour today with a pair of Panasonic in-ear phones RP-HJE50, we ripped a few CD's @ 192 AAC.

Sound Quality using Panasonic phones:

Very tinny, lacked any warmth and bass. Treble was harsh with plenty of sibilence. Went quite loud.

Sound Quality using supplied Ipod Phones:

Bass is better, but full of distortion, quiet in comparison to the Panny's.

My overall impression of this £249.99 piece of technology (and Im not an Ipod hater!) Is that its just not up to the basic job of replaying decent loud quality music! My previous MP3 player was the ihp-120.

BTW I tested the volumes leve before and after uncapping the firmware.

The firmware did increase the volume (only just though) prog used 'gopod'.

Tomorrow I will be testing my Sure E2C to see if that improves the dynamics.

Regards,

GJC

2. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 4th Gen 20Gb iPod with the Sony EX71s (ear-buds).
    Most of my CDs are ripped at 160 or 192kbps AAC.

Personally I think the sound quality is amazing, but this topic is purely subjective since everyone's ears are different :D

I haven't needed to play with the volume levels of the ipod since the buds go right into the ear and so volume doesn't need to be that high (normally have it around 50%), with no EQ settings.

3. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I will try the pod with the E2C's tomorrow morning. We tried the Eq on (Bass Booster) and also off. The Eq doesnt really make much difference to the overall effect.

Im sure these phones will be a vasat improvement.

I owned a pair of MDR-70's and preferred those to the newer 71's but as you say its subjective.

FYI - 3 people tried the comparison today and we all concluded the same, either the ipods output is too low (even with firmware update) which is the cause of the earphones poor output, and/or the earphones are cr*p, hence the E2C's tomorrow.

4. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought that the IPod ear buds reasonably good, however preferring proper headphones to buds I have just bought a pair of Sennheiser PX100s, they are awesome in comparison, they sound better and are much much louder.

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

I have PX100s, they rock! I suggest you glue the foam pads on though, otherwise they stretch and fall off. :thumbsdow

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I use Sennheiser PX200s as I can't get on with the in-ear buds. They work very well with my iPod.

7. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I tried my Shure E2cs with the latest 30gb Ipod Photo today.

Firstly the sound is louder/clearer and far more detailed than either the supplied Ipod cans or the Sony MDR 71's. However, there just isnt enough bass being outputted from the ipod.

It sounds like an octave or two of <hz is being filtered out. For example my ihp-120 you could hear kick drums - the bass had impact. The ipod doesnt have this impact, its missing.

Foams & plastic plugs were both tested on the Shures with the ipod.

Imo - The difference between the ihp-120 (using E2c's) & this ipod is like adding a subwoofer to stand-mounted speakers - well maybe not to the fullest extent, but getting there.