1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[B]High Def recording on Sony HX1010 ?[/B]

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ian Ball, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Ian Ball

Ian Ball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi can someone help me ?

I am about to buy (when out in september) the Sony RDR-HX1010 DVD recorder. Two things concern me.
    (1) The price :eek:

(2) In the hope/expectancy it will last me for years to come, will I be able to record Hi-Def material to it when SKY HD broadcasts start.

Does the new SKY HD box (shown on other threads) have a hard drive on which you can record HD material (like the current SD sky + box) and if so would I be able to transfer it to the HX1010.

I expect the HX1010 to cost somewhere near a grand and for that I need to know how HD recording going to work. :confused:

2. Ian Ball

Ian Ball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    One other thing - how do you get your titles on a new thread to be in bold - as you will see from mine -I can't manage even that...Duh

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The new Sky HD box will be a variant of Sky+ so it will have a HDD. There are rumours it may be 400GB. As to whether you can transfer to DVD Recorder - well your Sony cannot input High Def let alone record in it so the core answer is no.

However Sky HD boxes will output a downconverted Standard Def signal - depending on whether it carries copy protection such as found on Box Office Channels (which can be disabled if you find a suitably modified Scart lead - a prohibited topic on the forum) will depend whether you can record it. I think it's likely to be unprotected so you should be OK in this regard.

4. Ian Ball

Ian Ball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Rasczak,

Is it likely to be the case sometime in the future that there will be Hi-Def DVD recorders on the market - should I wait ?

Secondly - say I still buy the HX1010 and when the time arrives the sky HD box and record to the 1010 the downconverted SD signal.

If I then put the recorded dvd into my Denon 3910 (which has upscaling and HDMI/DVI output sockets) would that then upscale it back onto my HDTV with the picture HD quality ?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    It's likely to be awhile I should imagine - especially as they are unlikely to be able to record High Def from Sky.

It will be as good as any upscaled Standard Def DVD - but not as good as the original High Def source.

6. Ian Ball

Ian Ball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your help - intend to go ahead and buy the 1010. Cheers.