1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[B]Ghosting Problem Transferring Fron VHS[/B]

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timbo21, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Can Anyone Help?

I've got my VHS going to my Sony HX900 via scart and I'm getting a problem
    of a faint vertical ghost bar scrolling across the screen. I'm using a good
    quality QED scart lead.

My Sony has a sort of bypass button where you can switch between the signal of the Sony or straight through to the TV. When viewing bypassing
    the Sony, everything is fine! Any thoughts? :confused:

Tim.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    What tapes are you trying to copy? Are they home recorded or commercial? If the latter it could be indicating copy protection (although this normally is more substantial).

How are you all connected? I assume it is:
    VHS Output > Line 3 and then Line 1 > TV EXT1

Check your inputs are properly set. Goto 'System Menu', 'Setup', select the 'Video' tab and scroll down to 'Scart Settings'. Ensure Line 1 and Line 3 are both set to Video. I assume connecting the VCR is a temporary arrangement? If not select Line 1 to RGB but there have been issues with upconverting on Sony recorders.

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks Rasczak for the reply.

Yes, all connections are as you mentioned.

I'm just transferring some home recorded sport videos. Some were taped from
    Eurosport & some BBC, all via Sky. Shouldn't be any copy protection on these
    should there?

I've messed around with all possible permeatations in scart setup menu, just stayed on RGB L1 o/p & video/RGB L3 i/p with video o/p.

Do you think it's anything to do with the Sony's time base correction, or whatever they call it?

Cheers,

Tim

4. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

I have had this problem when producing several videos copying from my NLE system to several VCR's.

My set up is quite confined and I was copying out of my NLE system via SVHS to an SVHS VCR and from there daisy chained to 3 other VCR's with scart sockets and mains leads all over the place.

It was exactly as you described a very faint vertical image about a quarter of the screen width slowing scrolling across the screen and was more noticeable when the VHS video was in fast forward.

Anyway enough of my rambling, the solution, well I don't know what caused it or how I resolved it but it doesn't do it now I have replaced the scart leads to gold plated but these were bought from Tesco at about £3.99 each so not exactly the best. I can only suggest you unplug all the wires, make sure the scart leads are free from the mains leads and try again. If you still suffer then try swapping your leads. I believe it must be some sort of electrical interference.

Best of luck,

Martin

P.S. Another website that I frequent had someone with exactly this problem a week or so ago but don't know if he has solved it yet.

P.P.S. May be it's worth getting in the guys in from "Most Haunted"

5. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Cheers,

I'll see if Ghostbusters are available.

Tim.