1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B and W DS6 Dipole Speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by John G, Apr 14, 2001.

1. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I am thinking of upgrading to these speakers but cannot find any reviews anywhere.Does anyone know if these speakers would be a worthwhile purchase?
    Thanks,John

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    We just had this in another thread: the short answer would be no.
    They have a limited frequency range only (as they were designed for DPL) and are IMHO too expensive for what they offer, THX certified or not.
    Perhaps they are not bad but unsuitable for DD/DTS systems.

What speakers (fronts/center) do you want to match them with?

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John, go onto www.home-entertainment.co.uk and page down a bit then click on "Click here for the old reviews". In their old reviews website you need to select "Centre Speakers" (trust me) and then select the B&W CC6 as the DS6 is reviewed alongside the CC6.

There are also a few reviews on www.audioreview.com.

As Reiner says, technically they don't cover the full frequency range demanded by Dolby Digital and DTS but whether you will actually notice this in practice is another question. This means that there is only one answer - you'll have to listen to them (and compare them with a rear speaker that goes up to 20KHz) and see what you think.

[ 15-04-2001: Message edited by: Matt F ]

[ 15-04-2001: Message edited by: Matt F ]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just ask if anyone who believes these speakers to be 'unsuitable' for 5.1 use has ever actually demo'd them?

I remember a similar thread last Year about these exact same speakers and there were tons of people quoting specs and and saying "Oh no they are no good for DD, dont bother with them", but none of those people had actually listened to the speakers !?!

I have demo'd the DS6's on two seperate occasions using Dolby Pro Logic surround material, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, DTS ES and THX EX material and I would descibe them as stunning di pole rear speakers capable of creating a fantastic and enveloping soundstage that wraps around the listener without leaving any discernable 'holes' in the soundtrack.

The speakers were coupled to 604 S2 front's a LCR 6 Centre and a CC 6 for rear centre duty (running from a Yamaha AX-1), the sub was a Rel Strata III.

John, if you are unsure still then I urge you to find a local dealer who has these speakers in stock and will let you demo them.After all, it is not what is written on the spec sheet or instruction manual that sounds good it is the SPEAKER!!! :)

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am one of those who claims they are unsuitable and has actually never listened to them (ignoring the short demo of 10 minutes at my friends house who was using them as rears).

As we all know (at least we should) DD and DTS are full-range frequency systems which cover from 20Hz to 20kHz on all 5 channels including the rears.

But the DS6 go up to 8kHz only and are hence of limited use for those systems, theoratically at least.
    As for this reason (the upper frequency limit), Duncan, setting them to SMALL would not help in this matter.
    However this would be advisable in any case as dipoles typically do not extend too low either.

Like I said, I do not claim they sound bad or are rubbish, but I feel they need some overhaul to S2 series perhaps, at a list price of GBP400 I just think you can do better and find them too expensive, too.

Though you could argue that the rear effects might not extend to that frequency too often it would still be a limitation, especially with multichannel music and DVD-A/SACD later.

Besides, you wouldn't buy a digital AV system (DVD player and 5.1 amp) and then play DPL tracks only, would you?

Mind you, this is not a question of dipoles vs directional, other dipoles could well be suitable.
    Hence my question to John what fronts and center he is actually using.

[ 15-04-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

6. Mike Freeman

Mike Freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually use the DS6 speakers as my rears along side front DM602, LCR6 Center, CC6S2 rear center and ASW 1000 sub all powered by a Yamaha AX1. although Iam looking to upgrade soon I found the DS6'S to work very well although some times they seem to directional and other times you hardly notice any surrond effect. This ofcourse is probably down to the DVD in any case if you put The dts es version of T2 ON AND CRANK IT UP they sound pretty damn good to me. But to be fair I never actualy tried directional speakers.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    im just curious as to why people say they do not cover the full range to make them suitable for DD or DTS ?

surely if you just set them to small then this problem will not be there

8. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used DS6s in my 5.1 system with a variety of partnering equipment over the last 2 years.

I thought they were pretty good and was very pleased with them, although they aren't as good as the speakers I've now replaced them with, the B&W SNTs (which do cost almost twice as much). I certainly wouldn't dismiss them, although I'd be tempted to look for them secondhand to get more value for money.

As they are a THX approved design, they should definitely be set to small as they are not meant to be fed anything less than 80hz.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,138
    I used these speakers for 4 weeks before taking them back and exchanging to Polk LS/FX. The reason i did this was that i had used directional full range speakers,before looking for dipoles.I was unimpressed with them and thought they were useless,the soundstage just seemed to disapear at the rear.The Polks on the other hand where sublime!

Get a demo, ask for home demo if the dealers do this and make your own mind up.But at £400 there are far better speakers out there.

10. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks for all your replies everyone.As a matter of interest my other speakers are 603 S2(fronts) LCR6(centre) and am currently using 601S2 for the rears.