1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b and w 602`s or quad 11L`s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kopite, Apr 24, 2003.

1. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey peeps. Which of these 2 sets of speakers would you say are best.

They`ll be used for music, computer games and films cheers

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    1 use search function top right.

or 2 go and demo them then decide for yourself

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    When I auditioned the Quad 11L v BW 602 S3 at an audition, I found that the speakers could hardly be more different.

The Quads were laid back, smooth, but slow and strained with hard hitting music.

The BW were quite the opposite, very forward sounding, exciting, punchy, prodigous bass.

I preferred the B&W.

4. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had the same choice to make I'd choose the 602's - Have demoed both against each other. They are very different speakers though so worth demoing to see which you prefer.

Chino

5. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gonna be demoing them in a couple of weeks

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Demo them ... they are both good speakers but very different in character (yes I know people will tell you it's bad for a speaker to have it's own character!!)

The B&W do need a large space to work in though ... so don't even consider them if you have a small room.

Vikki

7. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rooms not too small.

I demoed the 602`s when I bought my cd player and when i got the player home and hooked it up with my eltaxs the difference was hooj.

Eltax on sale soon :D

8. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I wont tell you that. These things are what can make music listening more interesting, and the B&W's have a very "large" sound which makes hard hitting genres very enjoyable. The Quad's lacked this "large" sound to my ears, and were possibly more hifi, but boring to listen to IMO.

Not surprised at all. The B&W's would trounce the Eltax. Even my old Wharfedale Diamond 8.2's crapped all over a mate of mine's Eltax floorstanders.

9. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    double post mate :p

The eltax were bought from someone on another forum before I had anything else :D

They`ve done the job for about 6 months now but I want better hehe.

Its gonna be next month before I can afford them but Wanna get an idea what speakers for around 300 I should be trying

10. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On pain of sounding like a broken record, if you can afford to consider the Quad (£380), do yourself a favour and audition the ATC SCM-7 (£480). I really like the Quads, but for £100 more the ATCs do everything better - very neutral, incredible imaging, amazing dynamics, and that tight, powerful ATC bass. Even if it means saving up another month or so, I would say it's worth it. :)

Regarding the B&Ws, I haven't heard the ones you mention (well, I have, but it was a long time ago), but I've had extensive demos of the CDM-1NT (£750) and N805 (£1400), and to be honest I would rather have the ATCs than either of these models - ATC speakers just sound "right", and the B&Ws' bass just doesn't compare. Though I admit that may just be a matter of taste. :)

Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - Never buy speakers without auditioning - the same goes for all hifi components, but speakers more than anything. CD players and amps you can sometimes get away with buying on recommendation, but speakers are purely a matter of taste, so don't buy without hearing for yourself.

11. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to both of these speakers around 6 months ago, when I was in the market..... And didn't like any of them....

The B&Ws sound harsh to me (metal tweeter ?), while the Quads clearly color the sound to make it very soft and pleasant.

As you can see in my sig, I ended up with Dynaudio speakers - I would think that maybe the Audience 42s are in that price range - looks like they list for 399.......

Of course they play excactly whayt you give them :)

/BJ

12. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Well, I'd also consider the Mission M51's, which to me were better than either the Quad's or the B&W's, and also better to me than the KEF Q1's. However, I'd have to say that depending on tastes, I'd have happily had the B&Ws or KEF's as well, but I really didnt get on well with the Quad's.

Also consider the aforementioned Dynaudio's (I would of except nowhere around mine sold them), and the Monitor Audio Silver S1's.

13. Confused

Confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have the B&W S2 though not the new S3, think they're great, will have to agree with an earlier post they aren't to hot in smaller rooms, give them some space though and they really open up - fantastic!

14. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

When you do demo them, it is worth remembering that (most/all??) speakers require some running in. I chose the B&W's, the treble sounded quite "bright" to start with, but soon calmed down, I am now really happy with the sound.

To repeat what others have said, they do need plenty of space.

Good luck.

Colin

15. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By plent what do you mean.
    they are going in my bedroom which is a pretty decent size

16. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'ed the B&W 602 S3 with the Mission M51, I have to say I prefered the Mission. The B&W had excellent depth and very good bass output (I'd think they'd rival some floorstanders I that department), they worked well with heavy material (rock'n'pop, metal). However, for me the bass was a bit loose with the B&W's (I think boomy is the correct phrase), and they lacked imaging and soundstaging. The Missions had brilliant sound staging and imaging on the other hand, and the bass was much tighter although slightly less of it than the B&W's.

It's all down to personal preference, some people will like boomy bass and lots of depth, so it's been said a million times before...go and demo!! :smashin:

17. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for the Dyn 42's. You can get them for £400, I'm currently running them and will be upgrading to the Contour 1.1's pretty soon. Great Speakers.

18. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yup, deifnitely agree with the Dynaudio recommendation. The only speakers I've heard that really compete with ATCs are the Dyns, though the Contours are considerably better than the Audiences (and priced accordingly). For the money I would say the SCM-7s are better value than the Audience 42s.

Dunc