b and w 6000 s3 speakers, which amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rossatron, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Rossatron

Rossatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i'm looking to pick up some new speakers pretty soon, I got spending permission so I wanna get something before it get's revoked lol.

I'm going to have a listen to the 603 fronts, 601 rears, lcr60 centre and asw600 sub with a view to get it all this weekend if I like it.

I'm gonna get a new amp too to power them but I'm not really sure what sort of power requirements the speakers have and that sort of thing. I'd appreciate it if someone could suggest an amp and maybe an alternative set of speakers in a similar price range? (£1500ish) that I should listen to before I part with my hard earned.

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,684
    Speaker preferences can be as individual as personal choice of shirts and trousers. One size/make does not fit all I'm afraid.

The B&W site has all the specs for the 600 series range.. The 603 handle between 25w and 125w.

Many say the B&W series 3 are a bit bright with the alloy tweeter. Some say Denon's are "warm" in thier reproduction. I have found their combination excellent. It is not tiring to listen to them all day. I would not partner the B&W with a bright sounding amp like the Pioneers.

3. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    you might want to wait a few more weeks as the 600 series 3 are being replaced by a series 4 which means the 3 series will either be very cheap 2nd hand or you'll be able to get a new and "improved set".

I used to own a set of 603-s3 and ran them from an Arcam A80 and they where superb in everyway to my ears even though there not a patch on the mid or top end of my 805s for the price they where spot on.

4. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I run 602s,600s and an LCR60(series 3) from my Pioneer 1015 and I don't find it bright and certainly not tiring,though I haven't compared it to a Denon.I wouldn't dismiss the Pioneers,but I would definitely heed Mailce's advice as he knows what he's on about.;)
    I recently added two Arcam Alpha 9s to bi-amp the 602s and noticed a big improvement in terms of speed and control,so the more power the better I would say.

5. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Unless you can spend around £1k on an AV amp/receiver (either a Denon 4306 or Arcam AVR300), i'd look at changing the 603's for something more manageable. They produce a lot of bass, and to control it takes more than most AV amps can handle. Ideally a pair of 603's should be driven by something like a Rotel RA06. Not many AV amps compare to a £500 hi-fi amplifier in the drive/control/current stakes. Going for an easier to manage pair of speakers for your fronts will produce a mocu more upbeat presentation with more snap to it. Going for bass heavy floorstanders will slow everything down, and the bass will sound dull without any real kick to it. And no sub will help that situation.

6. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The series 4 aren't coming out until the autumn.

7. Rossatron

Rossatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i thought I posted a reply already :-(

Thank's for the response guys, I spoke to the people at Technosound and they said Autumn too for the 4's, they also said they'll do me a deal on the rrp if I buy it all at once.

£1k on an amp is ok yeah, I was looking at a Yamaha rx-v2700 but I like that Denon one so I'll definitly see if I can listen to it somewhere. I have a session booked for saturday with the 600's and the Yamaha and I'll see if I can get them to hook up the Denon too.

Thanks again for the replies

8. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  9. Rossatron

Rossatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :update:

I'm gonna see if i can get to sevenoaks too (theres one about an hour from here) and listen to the Kef IQ9's too for a comparison

10. FuzzyJJ

FuzzyJJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 2307 paired with the 602.5 S3 (bi-amped).
    I do agree with the comment that they produce a lot of bass, but after I put the foam thingies (that come with the speakers) in the bass reflex port the sound is very good! :thumbsup:
    (my speakers are probably too close too the wall anyway and I can imagine that that doesn't help optimal bass production, but well...I don't own a mansion (yet :D ) )

Maybe the 4306 sounds even better with my speakers, but I just could not afford it.

So to finish....probably the most given advice on this forum: go out and listen :) Have fun!

11. Rossatron

Rossatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    go and listen! I've been hearing that a lot recently and I decided to take the advice. I'm booked in tomorrow to listen to the 600's in the morning and the monitor audio rs6/8's in the late afternoon. I'm trying to get to listen to kef iq9's in between too but not sure if I have time. I'm pretty sure I've short listed it to these 3 sets from what I have read and heard and to be honest I'm leaning away from the b&w's, I'm a little put off by the fact they're discontinuing them :-(

Does anyone have any tips on listening? Or what I should be looking out for? Or any buying advice in general?

Thanks for everyones help so far, I'll be sure and post an update with whatever I decide when I get something.

12. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    For listening advice,take material you know very well and if you have broad tastes take a range of stuff.When I demo I generally just take music,as I reckon if they're good with music they'll be good for movies,but obviously if you have some favourite movie scenes try them too.
    As far as buying advice goes,if you're gonna be buying £1k worth of speakers,at the very least get them to throw some decent cabling in for you.

13. FuzzyJJ

FuzzyJJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for your onfo:
    when I went listening for my speakers I took:

- J.S. Bach organ music for the low tones performance
    - Tori Amos
    - Stef Bos who is a Dutch artist, but the reason I took one of his CDs is I have seen him a lot live on stage, so I can compare to that experience.

In the end it was the Stef Bos cd which pushed me to my final decision.......and still happy with the speakers today :thumbsup:

I would probably take a lot more classical music if I went out today....

:lesson: But I agree with Joffy completely....don't buy a cd for speaker auditing :) Take the ones you know by heart!

14. Rossatron

Rossatron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well I made my decision, it's funny cos I was sure I had my heart set on a denon 4306 and the 603's but I listened to a lot of stuff and decided on the ma rs6's with the yamaha 2700.

Thanks for everyones input, I just hope they hurry up and get my stuff fast cos I'm excited and I wanna get it all set up, oh, and you can expect a new thread within the week asking how to bi wire the fronts, which cables, how do I set it up etc lol...

15. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Good stuff,hope you enjoy it.

16. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36

congratulations. I would try different cables between your amp and your cd player as it can make a world of difference, also try copper/silver cable to see what sounds best on your setup. it would be good if you could buy a metre of different cables just to test it. I currently have B and W 601 s3 and i am using and old Yamaha av amp and denon 1730 dvd/cd player and the sound is suberb after I sorted out the cabling to get the most out of the speakers. If you connect with your cd player optically then your using the DAC's of the amp however if you connect via l/r stereo channel of the cd player then its using the DAC's of the cd player. I find the denon has better sound than connecting optically to the yamaha amp.
    good luck with it!:smashin: