azur 651bd vs budget cd player and dac

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mani0, Feb 16, 2014.

1. mani0

mani0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the azur 651bd player and denon 2309 av reciever which I'm using for multi channel music and movies. I want to get into 2 channel music but was wondering how my set up would compare to a budget stereo amp with budget cd player/ dac. I have a pair of ancient jam studio 170's.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    What are the speakers currently on your Denon 2309?

I would suspect the Cambridge 651BD would do a good job for CDs, and SACD (I think).

Does your amp have an Speaker-A and Speaker-B switch and terminals for those speakers? Some amps do; some amps don't. If it has this feature, then you could use your current speakers for movie (depending on what they are), the switch to the Jamo studio 107 for 2-channels music -

jamo studio 170 - Google Search

If you amp does not have internal Speaker-A/Speaker-B switching ability, then an external speaker switch can be had for a reasonable price.

I think what you have is certainly as good as if not better than a cheap stereo amp+CD player. But that depends on what you mean by cheap. Certainly there are better stereo systems what would equal or exceed what you have now, but they are going to cost a considerable amount of money. Depending on how we define 'considerable'.

Steve/bluewizard

3. mani0

mani0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current speakers are the Tannoy arena with a TS300 sub.

My amp does have a speaker A and B switch. Do I use my Jamo's on the biwire section? Not sure how to use this feature.

By cheap I meant around the 4-500 range as any more and I would rather purchase the Marantz sr7008.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    Likely you would put the Tannoy on Speaker-A and use that for movies. Then when you want to listen to music, have the Jamo connected to Speaker-B, and disable Speaker-A, and just listen to the Jamo.

Speaker-A and Speaker-B use the same amp front channels, so it would not be good to play BOTH the Jamo and Tannoy at the same time.

If you put the Jamo on Zone-2 or on unused amp channels, then it becomes more difficult to turn them on and off when you need them.

The Speaker-A/Speaker-B is simply a speaker select switch. Both selections driven of the amps front channels. From the Owner's Manual, when you press the SPEAKER switch, it seems to cycle between "A", "B", and "A+B".

Steve/bluewizard

5. mani0

mani0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve I've got it working now.

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    So ... how does it sound?

Steve/bluewizard

7. mani0

mani0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better than i thought considering the speakers. I've set it up as a 2.1 as I prefer more bass.

I think i'm going to put some money aside for some proper speakers.