Azur 540r v2 Volume Function and Display:

hugemagicwand

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm new on these Forums so I apologize if this thread is posted in the wrong place.
The reason for posting is that I recently got hold of an old Cambridge Audio Azur 540r v2 receiver which I'm using to drive an old Celestion A4C speaker under my monitor.
The issue I am having is this: when I turn the volume control on the 540r clockwise the volume displays in dB but the value displayed decreases and when I turn the volume control anti clockwise the dB value goes up. Additionally when the display shows 89 dB the next displayed value is "Min Vol" and when set to 02 dB the next displayed value is "Max Vol" which seems counter intuitive. At all times when the volume is displayed it reads like this: "VOL -XXdB" and I'm really unsure what the "-" symbol stands for in this context.
I've added an image showing the Volume displayed on the receiver below:
cam.png

What I've tried so far:
Downloaded and read the manual.
Used the reset on the rear of the unit to try to reset to factory settings.
Searched online.
Emailed Cambridge support (no reply).
Oh one last point unexpectedly it did not come with a the remote control.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with one of these receivers and can confirm if the volume control on the unit I purchased should be working this way and if not how to reset it?

It's a figure related to attenuation so is working as as designed. 0db is more than -10db.

Get your head round it and you'll be a true AV master and the envy of all your friends.

It's a bit weird to get your head around but does have more meaning than a random figure between 2 arbitrary values. 0db on the scale can be used as a reference level during calibration.

Some amps have a setting for the volume display, both of mine can be changed to use 0-100 instead.

Also the sound volume (pressure) is not measured linearly (f.x. between 0-100) usually, so use the logarithm scale with db gives much better meaning. 3 db doubles the sound pressure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom