Question Azur 540a And Coda 7s - Bad match?

moss125

Novice Member
Hi all, I'd really appreciate some advice with regards to my audio setup. A while back I bought some Kef Coda 7s and paired them with a (rather vintage) Technics SU-X102 amp and Teac CDP. I was very happy with the sound, but recently decided to treat myself and upgrade the equipment. I went for A Cambridge Audio Azur 540A and associated CD player, Tuner etc. Although they're a few years old, I'd expected them to sound decent enough, but they just don't seem to suit the Codas at all. I'm not someone who looks for massive amounts of low end, but to me the sound just seems flat and dull, unless the bass adjuster is fully cranked. I'm no audio expert, but are my speakers too small for the amp? Or just not a suitable combination? The speakers are quite close to the wall, but I wouldn't have expected that to make a massive difference? Maybe I've just been spoiled bass-wise by the Technics, but the CA just seems so flat in comparison. Thanks for your time, I've attached some photos of the prev / new amps.
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

muljao

Kef speakers are designed to work vertical. Might make a difference

I'm not familiar with ps but different amps can def give different sounds quality and amount of bass so wouldn't surprise me if the technics worked better even though it is older

moss125

Novice Member
Kef speakers are designed to work vertical. Might make a difference

I'm not familiar with ps but different amps can def give different sounds quality and amount of bass so wouldn't surprise me if the technics worked better even though it is older
Thanks, that's interesting to know, I'll give it a go. I suppose, as you said, the Technics may just suit them better.

David Alexander

The Cambridge Audio Azure range at the time were critisised by some as being overly 'bright'. I've just got my 640a v2 and 640c out from being mothballed today. Originally these were paired with Morduant Short 902i bookshelf speakers but matching it up with my MA Bronze 6 floorstanders has brought it back to life. Not brigh as much as incredibly detailed - way more than my AVR. But then these speakers have some serious bass potential.

The Technics amplifier has some 'super bass drive' so there presumably is some sort of 'management' of lower frequencies that is going on there, even though it is a lower power rated amp.

Some say that all copper wire takes the edge of a bright system.

moss125

Novice Member
The Cambridge Audio Azure range at the time were critisised by some as being overly 'bright'. I've just got my 640a v2 and 640c out from being mothballed today. Originally these were paired with Morduant Short 902i bookshelf speakers but matching it up with my MA Bronze 6 floorstanders has brought it back to life. Not brigh as much as incredibly detailed - way more than my AVR. But then these speakers have some serious bass potential.

The Technics amplifier has some 'super bass drive' so there presumably is some sort of 'management' of lower frequencies that is going on there, even though it is a lower power rated amp.

Some say that all copper wire takes the edge of a bright system.
For now I'm going back to the Technics, but maybe it's worth holding onto the C.A. for the future if I get some larger/more bass capable speakers

password1

Distinguished Member
Maybe those old Kef coda speakers arent a good match for the CA amp. The CA lit is neutral, slightly clinical and bright sounding with the wrong speakers.

I see there is a bass boost button on your technics amp and maybe you're used to the sound with that button switched on.

Im not a fan of bass boost or loudness buttons, they usually boost the bass or the frequencies at the extremes and make at the expense of clarity to the mid range. However Coda speakers may not be revealing enough to show much difference.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom