Axium HD50 and HD update

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mad Mikeyboy, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just for clarity here I'm talking about the first model which came out.

Has there been any more developments in the problem with this model and the HDCP issue. I know a lot of owners had been on to Sagem about it a while back but I haven't seen any posts on the issue for a while. Are there any upgrades available to us in order for us to recieve the HDCP when it arrives or are we snookered and left with a TV which doesn't do what we thought it would when we bought it.

Can someone clear this up for me once and for all?? Cause I'm not too clued up on this issue.

2. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The HD-D50 will work with SKY HD but you will have to use the component input.

There has been no Hardware Update for the HD-D50 and there will be no Hardware update probably because it involved changing the main board which costs money.

3. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you can stomach spending quite a few more pennies, you could try DVI magic that it is said will handle the HDCP and output clean DVI the other side.

http://www.spatz-tech.de/spatz/dvi_magic.htm

there are other options like this one too but I have not looked at them which is why I keep banging on about this DVI- Magic lot.

I returned my HD-D50 and got a HD56B from comet who agreed that the HD50 was mis-sold. I had to pay the difference however which stuck in the throat but I have got a much bigger TV now.

At the time, DVI magic was Cheaper then a replacement TV but with the cost of the TVs coming down, I would get a refund and replacement and only go the DVI Magic route if a return is not on the cards for you.

Cheers:hiya:

4. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It's been over a year and a half since I bought the set so I doubt if I'll get any joy.
    I wouldn't mind spending 400 euros though on the DVI magic if it did the job.

5. intothevoid

intothevoid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Titoune76

Titoune76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    JUst to let you know that he have the same issue in France, we a lot of HDD50 or HTD501 owners have decided to ask their providers to repay it , or to replace it by something else...why not the new Sagem.
    In France we have a law which can protect buyers about wrong or bad publicities, or hide physical defect. It means that if the publicity or any document give an ambigus or wrong information, you can argue with the suppliers directly else with the legal authority for judgement. It can take time, but it is possible.
    The last official development from Sagem was that they will do nothing from a technical point of view they even not recognise that they says that their machine is HDTV compatible. We have plenty of documents which the say the opposite, even one with the HD ready logo in front of Sagem Axium.
    I don't know the number , but a lot of owners already sent official mail to their suppliers asking them to pay back money because of an hide physical defect. In fact we don't want to penalise the suppliers, but we can't directly do things to Sagem. The suppliers will have the task to status and solve the issue with Sagem.
    We bought our machine mainly from only 4 different suppliers, and the first answer from them are:
    - we are looking to find a solution with Sagem, this is on the hand of financial department .
    - or we don't have answer from Sagem that other suppliers have the same problem with users, you are alone...
    - Sagem is working to a technical solution (may be an extra DVI card HDCP compatible, which would be a good compromise).

It shows that they are very nervous about the argument, and the feed back is very different from a suppliers to another on even from the same company.
    We expect to have more information soon.

3 owners had already have their machine repayed. So the arguments are the goods

I hope that you may have the same legal protection in UK.

Regards
    Dominique

7. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The HD-D50 was not sold as being HD Ready However it was sold as supporting HD and it does.

All of the New Models HD-D45, HD-D56, HD-D45 G4 and HD-D50 G4 will work with Sky HD Service they all support HDCP.

The HD-D45 G4 and HD-D50 G4 have a HD-Ready Logo, There is a problem where some of the TV produced the G4 models can make more noise than other which can cause problems but I’m not sure what the status of that problem is as I haven’t spoken to Andrew Gorman for a while.

8. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you know if it will be at full resolution? I heard that via component they will scale it down to SD, which would seem a bit pointless.

It does seem strange that the movie/program providers will let Sky distribute their HD material unprotected when a protection system exists? Surely if pirates get their hands on these early boxes they will be able to perpetually pirate material shown on Sky.

Sounds interesting - where does it say it cleans the HDCP though? I don't see an ordering link either?

Could be good news if this works - I was planning on replacing my Axium in a couple of years once HD disk formats are at a sensible price.

9. Titoune76

Titoune76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy new year,,
    Just some news from France, some of French users have received a paper from the suppliers where they buy their HD50 which says that a new mother card HDCP compliant should be available end of March, then a technician should come to replace it. Same news by phone from a second suppliers, so it should be something true. The issue is that for the moment this is the supplier technician's who should come and not Sagem technician's,it means that may be Sagem does not want to be cost inpacted by upgrade stuff.
    Regards
    Dominique

10. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SO, ARE IS THE CURRENT HD 50 G4 HDCP compliant or not ????????

I was going to order one tomorrow, but am going to wait til I know for definate.

maidstoneman30s

11. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDCP issue only affected the original HD-50 (the silver version of the optoma 50"), not the current models.

I will still be surprised if the board replacement for the old models actually happens in this country.