1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axim used as Remote Control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Orson, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I've been hanging my nose over a fancy remote for some time now, although I don't think I could justify a Pronto (well, I could, but 'er indoors may disagree :rolleyes:), and as they seem to be the best, I've not bothered with any others.
    Anyway, I've had an Axim for a couple of months now, and it never occured to me to use that as a remote untill I went browsing through this section. :suicide:

So, I'm after as much help and advice as I can get please
    I've been reading all the posts on here, and I'm starting to get to understand, but I've been looking at one called Ultramote, which I can't seem to find any opinions of here, any one? they are at www.ultramote.com.
    Is their product any different from the one sold at Laser?

The equipment I want to control is a Panasonic TV, Panasonic VCR, a Pace NTL box, possibly Sky box in the future, Acoustic Solutions DVD player, and it would be nice to do my (old) Pioneer Hi-Fi.
    From what I've been reading, I may have a problem with the NTL box?

I really am at square one, and hoping to learn from you guys who have been down this road before me.

Here's hoping

2. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Orson,

If I'm reading it correctly the Ultramote looks like a complete IR extender and software solution.

Unless I missed it I can't see that the Ultramote supports Pronto CCF files and this is the major plus in using an Axim together with the IR Extender from laser.com and TVRemote.exe from pdawin.com. The ability to use the hundreds (++) of Pronto CCF's has got to make life so much easier.

As far as NTL and the Pace box goes it very much depends on the model of Pace box you have as to how much difficulty you will have. With the pre 4000 series boxes you will need to get a RedEye (search these forums for info). With the 4100 you should be OK as they use RC5 commands.

It's the 4000 thats a bit strange as it can accept both IRDA and RC5 - this is the box I've got. Still working on mine as time permits but I've just about got a full set of working codes for all the keys on the NTL remote for the 4000, although I've still got some buffering problems I want to iron out. Remaining difficulties are with the Information (i), Favourites and Skip keys.

Although there are CCF's over at remotecentral for the 4000, not all of the codes worked on the Axim - not quite sure why. Anyway I found a solution, except for the 3 keys mentioned. Have intended to post the info at some time for others but have not got round to it yet - if anybody else has an Axim and a Pace 4000 series box then PM me and I send my "work in progress" ccf to you.

Ramble. ramble. Hope this helps!!

Mike

3. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Right then, thanks for that. I've been looking further at the Ultramote solution, and you're right, I can see nowhere where it suggests you can do anything like creating 'custom' files, such as the Proto CCF's.

That said, looking at it again, I can see that I would end up spending hours & hours tweaking, modifying, creating, and generally playing with CCF's - do I really want to do that, or just use my Axim as a remote?

Ha, like there was ever going to be a choice :zonked:

I'm off to download the demo of TVRemote from PDAWIN. Wish me luck.

4. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thats the whole fun of having a pronto (or any other learning remote).Programming it and tweaking. Ive had my MArantz RC500i (same as pronto) and Im still constantly making changes.

5. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Well, I downloaded the TVRemote software, and had a little play with it this weekend, and just scratched the surface of CCF's - I think I may be hooked. I've got it working with my TV, all except going into & out of stand by mode. The TV I've got is a Panasonic TX32PB50, which seems to require you to hold the power button for a couple of seconds, which the Axim doesn't do... yet.
    But like I say, I've only just begun.

It works okay without the IR Extender reasonably well, but not well enough, so that may be an essential purchase.

The model number on the bottom of the pace NTL box says DI4001N, so is this the one that could cause me trouble?
    I've actually been having problems with it, so if they come and swap it, should I request a particular model?

Any more help will be appreciated.

Thanks

6. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Orson,

My mistake in the earlier post. I should have said the 4001 was the OK box (there ain't a 4100). See here for further info.

Mike

7. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    mrv
    Thanks for the clarification, and also for the link - very useful.

I'm going to have a look to see if I can find any CCF's for my equipment, is remotecentral the best or only place to look. I've only found 1 for my TV there, so any pointers would be appreciated.
    I want to have a play with the rest of my equipment (must stop using that phrase:rolleyes: ) before I commit, but it does seem a foregone conclusion.

Does anyone know of any CCF tutorial type of thing? I've got the manual for Pronto Edit 4, but any step through would be nice.
    Also, are there any particular things I need to take into account regarding the Axim?

Thanks

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The tv code you need is a "Discrete Code"

9. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orson... the only real way to learn Prontoedit is to teach yourself through trial and error.

BTW... your best bet is to download "Tonto" it's a ar superior Java based version of Prontoedit. It has no emulator but you can specify Prontoedit as your emulation software anyway.

HTH

10. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Thanks for the replies, I've now got the TV Remote Controller 5.4 installed on my Axim, and have got some functions working with my TV (haven't tried any other equipment yet).

The IR works reasonably well as it is, but I don't think I could live with it full time, so I'm going to buy an IR extender - is the one from laser the best (or only) way to go?
    I will be wanting to mess about & customise things (thats one of the main reasons we have these gadgets, right :blush: ), so I will want one that works with the TV Remote Controller software.

I've had a quick look at Tonto, but not in any great detail - does it really make things simpler?.

And one basic question, when I use Pronto edit, does it matter which Pronto Remote I choose to emulate? The one I've been playing with is the USA Colour - TSU6000, does it matter which I choose?

Thanks guys