AX902 & Dolby Atmos & Dts x

Matte

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I've recently just purchased a 65 inch AX902 Panny to replace my VT50 which in all fairness is a fantastic tele (I won't mention the light bleed on the 902 until I've finished setting it up)

My questions are on the 4k side and on next gen audio, from all the reading I've been doing over the last few days. My media PC is only Hdmi 1.4 so won't do 2160@60hz, you tube 4k content was shockingly chopping in Firefox better in IE but not great at 2160@30hz so dragged my gaming machine downstairs which has an GTX680 that will do 2160@60hz which was much better.

So started researching new graphics cards that have HDMI 2.0 as display port is good but not really as I'm directly connected to the tele which means when I upgrad my Yamaha A1010 reciever to one that supports DTS X and Atmos I won't be able to use display port and the video switching we are all used too with an AV.

Only graphics cards I can find are the GeForce 980 and 970 with HDMI 2.0 which I feel is seriously over kill for a HTPC that's even if they would fit in my Mini ITX case and motherboard.

Am I better off waiting, as there is bugger all content in 4k until they release some motherboards or smaller/cheaper cards with HDMI 2.0

Next up is the shocking fact that everything is centred around 4k video and not HD Sound. Am I wrong with the the following netfliks 4k streaming is only on some titles 5.1 dts or Dolby, and mostly 2.1

DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD which are clearly much better sound formats are near impossible to reach with 4k as from my understanding ARC HDMI on my tele with only output 2.1 so even if Netflix was in DTS HD you can't get it out of the tele (optical only goes up to 5.1 DTS)

To add to that you tube only outputs 2.1 so all the Dolby HD and DTS HD videos are a complete waste of time.

Next is display port will output HD audio but the AX902 won't pass it through.

The only way I managed to get 4k@60hz and DTS HD was display port, then HDMI from GTX680 to Yamaha and assign audio output on PC to use the HDMI after I done this I realised I have no 4k DTS HD content to text it with. Lol

Finally lets be honest DTS HD isn't that bloody new, DTS X and Atmos are here the bedroom carpet will be coming up to make way for ceiling speakers in the lounge, yet without new HDMI 2.0 graphics cards/mother boards and AV Recievers plus new BluRays it's not happening....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom