AX750 and music

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by docb, Jun 17, 2005.

1. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All

I have a problem with music and the AX750. the sound seems very muffled, like someone has thrown a towel over the speakers. I have done a search on here and quite a few people have said that the amp is good for music (for a surround amp) and cant quite understand it.

I have the ax750 connected from a DVD via digital, and then on to wharfedale 9.1 fronts and a mission 78as sub.

I realise that the system is not going to give me music to the quality of dedicated music kit, but it sounds awful.
    I have tried the level button on the front of the amp, but that only increases/decreases the speaker levels. Doesnt make a great deal of difference to the quality of the sound.

Any idea's?? :lease:

Thanks

Doc

2. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    I use the same a rxv 750 amp with the same sub and AE Evo 3 speakers. I too find the musical side disappointing, weather it be through the dvd player or sky.Its so bad that i dont even bother listening to it for music anymore and stick with my dedicated hifi set up.
    Movies however are a different animal and im delighted with the system when using it for dvd's.
    I cant really understand why it appears to be so underpowered with music as the outputs are supposed to be higher than that of my Arcam A85/P85 amps but theres no comparison with the Arcam gear winning hands down.

3. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    If you have your front speakers set to small it's possible that your sub level is too high. Music on my system sounded very muffled until I lowered my sub level. My sub now reads about +1 db above main speaker level using a sp meter. Worth a try. You can always turn it up for films.

Barry