AX5i

J

Jon

i am considering getting the above amp, i have the 757 DVD player so wanted to try the I Link. How does this amp compare to other amps in similar price range for Movies and Music? Is the I link a good connecton ie better than anaogue 5.1 etc for SACD or Phono's for Music?

Cheers

Jon

I have the ax10i and the 757ai and found the i link made a big difference with dvd-a and sacd.

After having a go it still sounds a bit clearer even in stereo, even though I balanced the levels out. At the end of the day all you need is 1x £20 cable and it sounds better than my 3x £45 cables. No contest

biamp your front LR speakers from the AX5i and stereo replay is improved even further. This will restrict you to 5.1 channels though (bi-amp mode uses the extra 2 centre back amps to drive the fronts)

With good bi-wire cable the results are fantastic

i had the same experience with the bi-amp feature. Makes good push up to excellent

does the i link improve the dd/dts movie sound at all (over coaxial digital)?

cheers

But taking aside the I Link, how does this receiver compare to others of a similar price (I will try to organise a demo, but would appreicate some imput first)

Cheers

Jon

There are not many amps at its price which do audio delay, which was important to me. Also the i link is an important future proofing point. The auto setup routine does a good job, probably better than I can do without an SPL meter. I also think it sounds and looks good (very heavy!). I don't think any competitors have all that (they didn't when I got mine anyway, but things move on).

I bought one!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave! The audio delay isnt a big issue as I have a RP TV, but I might get a Plasma and ten would be glad for the feature. What is its music playback like?

Cheers

Jon

Ditto:D

To the people who’re giving this amp the thumbs-up for sound quality (in stereo); what are you comparing to?
I currently have a Rotel RC972/RB971 pre-pwr combo and can switch-in a Yam DSP-E800 for surround duties. How’s an AX5 going to compare? I’d be bi-amping the front channels btw.
I know I need to audition one for myself, but an indication of what you had before would give me a bit more of an idea of whether this is going to be viable; It’d certainely reduce the ‘box-count’, but that’s not really a high priority.
(Also have a 757ai, so would be able to use the I-link)

Do I take it that all the AX5i owners are ashamed of their previous amps :blush: ;)

Not ashamed but in the 3 years I had it, things had moved on and my old Sony was basically defunct and the difference in clarity, features and general ability was a revelation.
That's the nature of electronics though.

Just going to find somewhere that'll let me demo one (preferably at home)

ive got the d2011 basically the ax5 replaced it with i link etc, i biamped the fronts for better musical ability. it did make a difference , but ive just put a rotel 5 channel poer amp in the system and used the pre outs from the pioneer (so the pio just does processing) and i have to say all around massive improvement . just wonder what the diff is like with a good second hand processor . just a thought if your not bothered about all the ne sound modes that are out , for good 5.1 dts etc have you thought about second hand. i got my power amp for 300 quid and you can pick up a lexicon dc2 or meridian 565 for about 700 . not much more then the ax5i new.

Cheers Mate! I prefere to buy electronics new, I know you can get some good deals second hand, but am nervous about getting stuck with a lemon.

Cheers

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom