1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ax5i setup & i link to 757 dvd player

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jjwd, Nov 5, 2003.

1. jjwd

jjwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally received my ax5i amp from empire direct (got 10%off from the stuff live show). Tried last night to set it up and connect it to my new 757 player.

After a few hours of connecting and setting up I twigged that I had the rear speakers connected to rear and not side.ooops.

Firework noise in the background does not help with the auto calibration!

I then struggled to get the dolby digital signal out of the dvd player. I thought that the i link meant that a coaxial cable was not required - component out to the pw5 plasma and i link to the amplifier. It would only pick up the digital signal when the coaxial cable was in. So if thats the case what is the i link doing?

Have I missed some hidden setting? or is the i link only for dvda and sacd?

Any ideas / help on how to connect it all properly would be most welcome

2. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I have AX10i and 757, but I'm sure amp setup is the same. First you have to make sure you have assigned i-link input to something (DVD) on the on-screen amp display.

Then you have to make sure the DVD player is actually outputting to i-link. Can't remember exactly which menu this is on, but, no offense, try RTFM :).

Then, and this is what had me stuck for a while, you have to tell the DVD player what speakers you have connected to the amp. This is all in a load of submenus in various places, but it is all in the manual. I'm not sure what bass management is done in the amp and what in the player when connecting with i-link, but it certainly turns off speakers if you haven't enabled them. This could be your problem.

Never had mine connected with anything other than i-link, and it works a treat for DVD and DVD-A (not got any SACD yet).

If I have my amp on, and then turn my DVD on, I get the i-link light on the amp flashing and it comes up with something like "i-link check" on the front display for a few seconds. Presume the AX5 does the same.

Good luck

Andrew

3. jjwd

jjwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help - I will try the speaker settings on the dvd player.

4. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    mine works fine, i have the ax5i ill check mine tonight and if you need more help then i will try!!

5. jjwd

jjwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked through the menus on the dvd player and found one that sets what format the audio is outputed at 5.1 or 2 channel.

I had mine set to the 2 channel. Once I changed it the i link worked properly.

I also told the dvd player what speakers I had - but I would have thought that the amplifier over ruled those calibrations.

Thanks for the replies.:clap: :smashin:

6. Isidro_Jose

Isidro_Jose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have in mind buy these equipments,
    What is it your opinion about music quality?

7. jjwd

jjwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the amp and dvd combo is a great improvement on my old kit (4 year old sony stuff)

I could use a load of adjectives to describe the performance - but its all so subjective. I'm really happy with it and have noticed a massive improvement. I watched an episode of friends on cable and felt that I was actually in the audience (annoying laughing Americans in all the speakers!)

I have yet to find time to sit down and listen to music properly - properly but if its anything like the movie mode - there will be loads more detail and control.

I have noticed one flaw so far though. I have my amp and dvd player connected to a panny pw5 through the silver box. On Saturday I put in a uk futurama dvd on with progressive scan switched on. I noticed a load of streaks on moving images as if there are lines mising from the signal. I also noticed this on the menu for matrix part 2.

Could this be a progressive scan to progressive scan problem? Could they be out of sync some how?

Anyone else noticed it?