1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ax5i connection query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paul147, May 27, 2004.

1. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, my 1st post, having now owned my ax5i since the new year i have decided to ressurrect my turntable,my query is as the amp only accepts a mm cartridge,is it possible to run my mc cartridge by means of connecting my old preamp (which has an mc connection) to my ax51?,reading through the pioneer manual it does say you can connect additional amps but it is not very clear,any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Can't you use the PHONO/LINE setting (page 95) to do what you want?
    I believe setting it to LINE allows you to connect a pre-amp.
    From page 20 of the manual: "If you want to hook up any equipment other than a turntable to the PHONO/LINE jack please go to the PHONO/LINE Setup (see page 95) and choose the LINE setting. If your turntable has a phono pre-amplifier (most do not) please choose the LINE setting as well."

3. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    W0W !!!!.Thanks for the info Brogan i was not quite sure that a pre-amp could be classed as an a equipment,any way just connected my kelvin lab pre amp, & all i can can say is bring back VINYL,forget about cd,dvda,sacd etc, the record (DECCA)which i am playing at present is 40 Years old in stereo but i swear i can hear multi channel seperation playing through DPL II,& what an amp,I can say that there is so much depth in playing vinyl on this amp as there has been on my previous valve amps,and what a revelation playing vinyl again,perhaps i should start a new thread!! on the vinyl debate.

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I'm very surprised at your comment that the AX5i stacks up well against valve amps.
    I thought it would have been far too "bright" for that.

Still, as long as you're happy, that's all that counts. :smashin: