1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AX5i audio out options

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by redblade, Aug 29, 2004.

1. redblade

redblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to use my existing audio system to provide the front speakers for my AV system. I intend to use the Pioneer AX5i and power my surround and center speakers directly from that using the line level output for the front channels in to the pre-amp of my audio system.
    Can someone advise as to whether the 5i increases the volume at line level in the same proportions as it is increased at the speaker level itelf ? I want to make sure I don't have to change the volume on the AV receiver and then change it on my audio amp separately !!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi redblade :hiya:

The preouts on (AFAIK) all AV receivers are controlled by the volume control, so yes the volume to the integrated amp will increase along with your surrounds when useing the AX5's volume control. I had this type of setup but with a Denon 3802 & Arcam 8R amp and it does work very well IMO. The only problem you will have is needing to set the volume on the HiFi amp to a set position for watching DVD's etc unless the amp has a processor mode as the HiFi amps volume control will also still be working without control of the AV surrounds.

Mark.

3. redblade

redblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response Mark !
    The audio amp is a Linn Kolektor and I am pretty sure it has user setting which can be specified by source (input). I should therefore be able to find an optimum volume for the AV source that is unaffected by me changing the volumes of my audio sources. Also the Kolektor manual says that for a given input I can specify 'unity gain' to be on/off. Do you know if this is somthing relevant to what i'm trying to do here ??
    Thanks again.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Unity Gain is the equivalent to the Arcams Processor Mode. It basically means that the integrated amps preamp stage is bypassed and it just becomes a stereo power amp - ie just what you need :smashin:

Mark.