Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AX5i and THX Cinema mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brogan, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I've been trying to understand the purpose of this mode as the manual doesn't contain much information.

I have set up the THX mode and assigned Pro Logic II Movie as the decoding method.

I have then played back a variety of sources (DVD, SKY, PS2, CD, etc.) and toggled between THX Cinema and DPLII.
    Maybe it's me but I just can't hear any difference at all.

Can someone please explain what the THX mode is for, how to set it up and what difference/improvement it should offer over DPLII?

Does it just "fine tune" whichever mode is assigned to it?
    So in my case it would give a more "studio accurate" version of DLPII?

And while I'm here, I've asked the question before about setting up the sound using some kind of external device (SPL meter?).
    Although the MCACC is good, the resulting sound is a little bit thin in STEREO mode when compared to DIRECT.
    I don't even want to try and set it up manually as there are just too many variables and chances are I would end up with a mess.
    What other options have I got for professioanlly setting up the sound?

2. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX applies 5 things, like re-eq wich cut of the high tones.
    Also it will have the function timbre matching wich reduces the holes of the sound from speaker A to Speaker B.
    And also Adaptive decorrelation wich give the surround speakers a stereo LIKE sound.More seperate.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    OK, so it builds on the base decoding method that it is applied to.
    So in my case, it modifies the original DPLII output with the 5 attributes you have mentioned.

Have to say I can't notice a huge difference, if any at all.
    Perhaps some extended testing is required :D

4. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well yes,THX mode is a kind of DSP effect that handle the original signal to a signal that is THX approved.
    Wel,the only thing i hear when i switch between Dpl or THX is de Re-Eq mode.
    That is one of the 5 modes in THX.
    You can hear that the sound may sound duff or less higher tones came out of your speakers.
    And of course in DLP mode, de Decorrelation,a stereo kind effect of your surrounds.
    Thats all i gues.

5. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually prefer THX mode – it sounds to me more gutsy and less, thin/bright in THX mode than in other modes. Brogan, I am surprised that you cannot hear the differences between DLP and THX. Mind you I am cheating a bit by putting the output for the fronts through an exposure amplifier and I guess what speakers you use is also going to have an effect. I just leave mine on THX all the time now :)

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I guess it must be my ears and the years of abuse I have put them through...:D
    I can't even hear the difference between analog phono and iLINK output from my 868 so it's not surprising.
    I'm like you and leave it on THX for SKY and DVD's.
    All other sources I use STEREO or DIRECT depending on the material.

7. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You should be able to hear the RE-EQ very easily, if not, maybe its time to visit the doctors for some ear syringing (im being serious, it does wonders for your hearing if you have wax buildup).

The timbre matching is very slight and not particularly noticeable, and if you are using PLII as the decode method, you wont hear the "Adaptive Decorrelation" as it is adaptive, ie. if the surrounds already have a stereo signal the decorrelation is lessened. If you use PL1 as decode method, it will feed the rears the exact same signal and you will then be able to hear the decorrelation (ie dephasing) of the rears when you apply THX.